And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Almond pie & lots of laughs



So last night was our annual Christmas dinner with our closest friends. It had been postponed a few days due to illness but was a go last night! So I had this huge bag of almonds that I had bought on sale a few weeks ago. I love almonds, I am actually partial to almost all nuts. As I was cooking the portions of the meal that I was in charge of, I started thinking about those almonds and what I could make with them. I thought wow I have never had an almond pie (was sort of thinking of a pecan pie knockoff) but I bet that would be really good! In here I race to my trusty computer and google to find a recipe. Seriously I have put in all kinds of crazy things followed by recipe and had some great results. Well not so much with almond pie. There were one or two that did not sound appealing but mostly the results were for almond cake or almond pie shell. Not what I was looking for. Well being the adventurous chef that I am (hahaha I almost choked myself on that one!) I decided to just throw some ingredients together to see what I could come up with. Now in the meantime I had put too much cornbread batter into the pan and it had spilled over into the oven and I fully expected my stove to catch on fire at anytime. Also my kids were attempting every few minutes to sneak downstairs and destroy all the cleaning I had done. But I digress, so I threw some ingredients in a bowl, mixed them up, then poured them into the pie shell (which I discover as I was pouring was not a deep dish shell and so I had to scoop some filling back out). I threw it in the over with the cornbread and hoped it would not all catch on fire!

I'll just be honest here.... that was the ugliest pie I had ever seen. A big hunk of it had fell off I guess because it was still a little over full. Most of the almonds converged in the center of the pie and it was a bit.... okay a lot.. runny. I briefly toyed with the idea of chunking it but I had snuck a small bite off the side and it was yummy! Plus these were my best friends all coming to dinner. They'd be nice, right? LOL!

Well the dinner was awesome even with all the small catastrophes. The pie was eatten ugly and all. We all came up with some ideas of things to do different the next time to make it just right. When I get it all perfected I will post that recipe! A good time was had by all!

Sometimes my life has been like a recipe that I have tried to create. I don't always stir in the right ingredients and so I don't always get the right result. But when I put myself in with true, good, God loving friends, my amazing husband and children, and I allow God's will to guide my recipe then it always comes out perfect! I pray for you that you have found your perfect recipe for this life! Sometimes it has to be tweaked a little as things change and not all ovens are the same but stay on the path of the Lord and it will come out right!

1 comment:

  1. I did get the almond pie recipe right for Christmas. I didn't do a lot of measuring but I believe it was:

    1 deep dish 9 in uncooked pie shell
    3/4 c corn syrup (I used light)
    1/2 c brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1/2 c semisweet chocolate chips
    1/2 c coconut
    1/2- 3/4 c chopped almonds

    Mix the ingredients in order in a large mixing bowl then pour into pie shell. Bake at 375 about 25-35 minutes. It needs to be set (not giggly in the middle) before you remove it from the oven! Cut into small pieces cause it is rich and a little whip cream on top never hurts!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!