And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Trying Something New

So I have been inspired by the mom who has been on the news this week because she plans out her meals a year at a time! Wow! She said she was able to cut her grocery bills by half! And of course there is the added bonus of not needing to spend time contemplating what to cook. Now I will say that when I first started staying at home I was much more organized and I tried to plan out our meals then 2 weeks at a time. I would go to the grocery store every 2 weeks for a BIG trip and then maybe once in between for milk & bread. So I googled the news story and found a place that showed her actual monthly calendars from 2009. Let me just say that their meals were not the healthiest. Lots of prepackaged items and not much fresh. Since this is the year my family is getting healthy ( I am 10 lbs healthier as I type yea!) I have to adjust. Also I am just beginning to get the hang of the eating and cooking healthy. So a whole year seemed pretty daunting esp. since we don't have all out trips, bday parties, etc all planned for 2010. So tonight I sat down and made a list of entrees we like and a list of sides and I made meal calendars (for the evening meal only) for February, March, and April! I am going to start getting my Sunday paper again, clipping coupons, and purchasing items we use over and over when they are on sale. The good thing about doing it 3 months at a time will be that I can adjust any bumps before I plan anymore months. Now I will be the first to admit that my family loves to eat out! It's convenient, I don't have to clean up before and after the meal, and there is lots of variety. So my disclaimer is this: we are going to try to REALLY cut back on the trips out. If we do go out though the meal makings will just be there for a lunch or as extras for the next month. I also made up my grocery list for February ( I will have to go several times for produce, dairy,etc.) and printed it and I typed up the list for March and stored it in the computer to complete as I get closer to time.  I am hoping watching sales will get my gigantic deep freeze and pantry restocked so I can save some money for important things like Kyle's mission trip, bills, and hopefully a trip or two for the family this year!

I will keep you posted as to how this works out. If it goes smoothly I will even share my monthly menu and grocery list! If you have any tips, healthy recipes, etc you'd like to share, please do!

I am hoping next week to post a blog with some homeschool tips and websites on it. I haven't been researching long but I have been shown and stumbled upon some great places and ideas!!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! A couple of blogger friends got together and all did one month of recipes and then we emailed them to each other and it has been fantastic for me and my family. It has really taken the stress of dinner time out of my already busy life. I am excited to hear how it goes. Sounds like you are done with your menus...if you needed some recipes we could send you ours too! Or you could join with us!
    I am starting the coupon cutting as well!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'd love to see your menus as well. I only did Feb, March, and April. Any new ideas are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!