And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, April 19, 2010

Fun Lessons

One of the things I love most about homeschooling and teaching my kids are the hands on interactive moments. Some of them are spontaneous and some planned but they are all educational and exciting!

Yesterday we planted our vegetable garden. A & E both got involved and we talked about the dirt, parts of the plants, sun, water, nutrients, pollination, and a host of other things. We talked about how amazing it is that God created this world and all the intricate details that made birds, insects, flowers, and plants work just right.

Speaking of God's AMAZING creations, a couple of weeks ago my kids were able to be near a miracle and in turn be in awe of God and His blessings! A close friend of ours delivered her precious daughter very early in the pregnancy. Baby is doing great and just after she was born we were able to see her in the incubator as they prepared to take her to the NICU. My kids were enthralled by the tiny tot who weighed in at 1 lb, 5oz. She led to some wonderful discussion about God, His plans for us before we are in the womb, and His miracles!

Even on a recent backyard picnic, we witnessed a mama bird in her nest. That time was full of questions and discussion about building the nest, eggs, and a mama bird's role in her babies lives.

As we look forward to Earth Day this week, I am excited to spend more interactive moments with my kids. Teaching them without books or worksheets about the world around them. About all these little and big things that they might never learn in a traditional classroom!

We did have a nice homeschool session at the table today though! Complete with Hooked on Phonics, Reader Rabbit math, and worksheets and books! A is still zooming her way through all of her material. We have temporarily put her states studies on hold and we are going to begin on the continents. With so many friends moving to international locations and Daddy preparing for a trip to Africa, this seems in order! We are in a comfortable rhythm and I am excited about what the fall has in store for us! I still have to purchase the next set of Hooked on Phonics and I need to pick her Kindergarten math curriculm. All fun things!

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful lessons you had for the kids!
    I'll be praying for your friend's precious baby. I know how it is to have a preemie. My son who is now 4 was a preemie born at 2 lbs 15 oz just shy of 30 weeks pregnant I was when I had him. I'll be praying for her as well.

    Me and Mine in a Small Town

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been awarded the Sunshine Award for your blog! If you would like you can come and pick it up at my blog!

    Me and Mine in a Small Town

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!