And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Uganda



My husband's words about his first missions trip:

"I have just returned from my first international missions trip. I accompanied several others along with the Union Lady Bulldogs to Uganda, Africa. The beds were uncomfortable, the showers were cold, there was no air conditioning, the bugs were huge, and none of that mattered. GOD blessed this trip in ways that I could have never dreamed possible. I was given the gifts of being surrounded by beautiful scenery, tasting wonderful food, feeling the longing touch of tiny hands on my arms and face, smelling the sweet, thick fragrance of exotic flowers, and being awakened by the strange calls of unfamiliar birds.




All of the inconveniences reminded me of the team’s goal. However, for every uncomfortable moment that kept me on track there seemed to be two new and wonderful experiences that enhanced my stay in Uganda. Before I left for Africa, I was a little apprehensive about being separated from my family for 10 days. I was a little nervous about taking my first plane ride. Of course the there was the issue of having enough money. It seemed like there was a hundred reasons why I should not make the trip. God provided the money though wonderful friends and family. I survived 9 plane flights. The absence from my family seemed to make us stronger than ever before. Small steps of faith started my journey to Africa. Faith that GOD would provide and protect. He did and I am grateful.



I pray that GOD will keep the lessons learned sharp in my mind the next time I am presented with an opportunity to go on a mission trip. I don’t want to worry about what seems impossible. I don’t want to worry about whether my family will be ok. I don’t want to worry about my safety on the way over or while on the trip. I don’t want to worry about getting dirty. In fact, I look forward to it. I bought some new khakis to take with me. After face painting outside of Kampala and playing barefoot soccer on the hills overlooking Uganda I now have paint and dirt stains covering my pants. I wear those pants with pride, knowing that for a little while some of those orphans and I felt the same feelings of love for one another. Different ages. Different skin tones. Different worlds. Same Father."



Who could resist these sweet faces?? I am so so proud of my husband for the time that he spent in Uganda. The whole team really did show the Lord's love as much as they could in those 10 days!

If you want to learn more about Uganda or the programs he worked with there, please see:



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!