And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Just an overview of where we are!

So Apple has finished level 1 of Hooked on Phonics 1st grade! Woohoo! This kid is reading like nobody's business! She is going much quicker than I had anticipated. (I probably should have known) So I bought her two new workbooks about two weeks ago. Sam's Club has the best workbooks! She now has Total Math and Total Reading for first grade. So prior to this I really felt as though she was struggling with math. It is definately not her favorite subject, she finds it boring and tedious. I have tried several methods to make it fun and she just digs in her heels. She will however do her work, just moaning and groaning! So I thought she was running a little behind, however since getting the Total Math 1st grade and speaking to a kindergarten teacher from a neighboring county, I think she is doing okay!

At one time I had found a website that gave goals to strive for each schoolyear. Well the website changed and they took down the page of goals. I sort of feel like I am in the dark now. I really am not sure what I need to make sure she knows (mathmatically speaking) for this school year. The teacher I spoke with offhandly mentioned that her students in K only learn time to the o'clock. Wow! We are past the o'clock, working hard on the half hour, and have introduced :15. She can count to 100 (albeit begrudgingly), add and subtract using objects, and has begun to learn a little about fractions. Maybe she isn't behind at all!

One area that she also needs a little more prompting in is spelling. We LOVE LOVE LOVE Hooked on Phonics but the reading program doesn't help much with spelling. She can read tons of words but if you ask her to spell them, you get a blank stare. So I think after December I will buy her a spelling package.

I also am still looking for a local homeschool co-op! I don't know that I am going to find one. Faith Tutorial is huge here, and for good reason, but really isn't the best program for us. I am very jealous as I google and find large cities within a couple of hours of us that have 20+ homeschool programs! Our city has a vast percentage of homeschool students, but not a lot of organized programs. We have a local chapter that meets for curriculum sales and end of year testing and graduation, but nothing else. I will still search!

Speedy is at the beginning stages of learning letters. He can usually recognize his name. He is working on classification at playschool and seems to be doing well. He is very interested in homeschool and often asks to participate. I have bought him 2 Kumon workbooks to begin on. He is excelling at cutting! Doing much better than sister did at this age. She was writing her very long name at this age though. I am continually amazed by their differences! I really just marvel. It is amazing that they come from the same home, same parents, same environment and are complete opposites in almost everyway including learning!

I hope you are all achieving great things in your school year! I will leave you with some pics from our church's Fall Carnival! What a great time we had!


3 comments:

  1. Edie, I would strongly suggest that you look up the learning standards for TEnnessee and go by those for each subject you are teaching. These are relatively standard across the board. If you need some guidance since there isn't a local co-op group here, I don't mind helping guide you along, since elementary is my area of study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...can you tell Angela and I are teachers? I was thinking the same thing! The standards will give you a guide that you can rely on no matter what others tell you. Don't be surprised when your children surpass many of them. That is the beauty of homeschooling...lots of one-on-one time with the teacher :)
    http://state.tn.us/education/ci/earlychildhood/index.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Thanks A & M!!! I did go after A suggested it and printed the state standards. Now I have a guide but we are using the first grade standards and not kindergarten. Some of the language can be confusing in the standards but I am glad to have a loose checklist! :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!