And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Review: The Dragon and the Turtle Go On Safari


My first official blog book review! (Hope you enjoy it!) We read The Dragon and the Turtle Go On Safari by Donita K. Paul and Evangeline Denmark. I chose this one thinking it would be a great book for Speedy. Well he did really enjoy the pictures. They are very detailed and intriguing. Illustrator Vincent Nguyen did a fabulous job as the pictures really enhance the storyline. Speedy was not as interested in the narrative of the book. It is a rather long story and unfortunately not as exciting as one might anticipate. Apple read about half of it out loud for us. She enjoyed the story itself more but being a literal child, she did not quite understand the fantasy that the book was building.

I found the overall idea appealing but since it was listed as Christian literature, I expected there to be some sort of a Christianity theme. A verse and outline of discussion questions is included at the very end. I was bothered the whole book by the name "Padraig". How is that pronounced? Pad-rag or Pa-drag or something completely different?

Anyway a cute book. I would recommend it for older children 6+ that are interested in fantasy.





I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. Any reviews are my own opinion and not influenced in any way by the company from which the item was received.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the review. Yes, the book is for children who have already developed an ear for the longer narrative. Many readers have enjoyed the fun of making Jungle sounds and the British-flavored dialog can be hilarious. Picture books are meant to be read again and again because they build appreciation of language more than reading skills. I hope Pad-rag and Roger give you hours of pleasure in the future. Padraig is the Irish equivalent to Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for clearing up his name for me Donita! :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!