And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Review: Sun Stand Still



Sun Stand Still

Sun Stand Still is a call to "audacious faith." Steven Furtick uses several examples of HUGE prayers that God answered in HUGE ways, namely Joshua's battle and the day the sun stayed in the sky for an extended amount of time. Mr. Furtick goes through reasons why we should pray these prayers, examples he's personally seen, and the steps to go through in a "Sun Stand Still" prayer. He speaks extensively about having a "Page 23 Vision."

I agree with quite a bit of what Mr. Furtick is saying. Yes God performs miracles. Yes we should have the faith to move mountains. Yes we need HUGE things to happen in this day just like they did in the days of Moses. I can completely agree with "And if he never does anything else for us, his single act of love on the cross demonstrated his goodness for all time." (page 103) If you are a new believer and you need to feel out your faith, read this book. If you are young, and looking for some basic understanding into praying big prayers, this might be a good book for you.

If you are a seasoned believer, you may want to skip this one. There is a extreme overuse of the word "stuff". There are too many references to Cristal, Dom Perignon, smoking crack, and putting things in your pipe and smoking them. It made me uncomfortable. So did the lack of capitalizing He and Him. There were a couple of editing mistakes as well (first words in a sentence left uncapitalized). Many of his references (I think) are just being used as slang to relate to a young generation. BUT I'm just not comfortable with that flippant jargon in a book about the God of the universe.

Honestly, I wanted to like the book. Steven Furtick is the leader of a highly attended church in North Carolina. The story he shared about God's call on his life is terrific. The stories he shares of friends, fellow believers, etc are wonderful. The over and over and over again of Sun Stand Still and Page 23 vision, take away from his message. While most of his message is bibically founded, I do think he is erring on the side of self help, if I do this, then God will do this. I don't follow that particular line of thinking. Because if God, then I should. That's just me though!

So since I went back and forth and back and forth, maybe you should pick it up and read a couple of chapters, and see what you think!
I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. The review and opinions are my own and not influenced by the publisher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!