And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Review Secure Daughters Confident Sons

Read Chapter 1

Glenn T. Stanton has written a riveting book about girls, boys, men & women. He covers not only what to expect from our girls and boys, but how to help them achieve their best. This book isn't about pushing your children into stereotypical gender roles, but it's about recognizing the traits that males and females, across cultures and timelines, all display. I expected this to be a book about making my boy a better boy and my girl a better girl. It FAR exceeded my expectations.

More than just learning about better ways to parent my children, I learned about better ways to coparent with my spouse. I learned about understanding my own inclinations as well as his. The cultural lessons and history lessons were subtle, but fascinating as well. While I have never doubted that God created us as man and woman for a purpose, this book clearly and concisely covers why it is so important that we embrace our gender. He gives grounded scientific evidence against blurring the gender lines.

Stanton goes on to give personal examples from his own life about the effect a male parent and a female parent have on a child. He covers why it is so important to have both of those influences. He talks about intimacy and it's effects on our lives. He even covers topics to cover with older children to help them understand why abstinence before marriage is so important, not only spiritually but mentally and physically as well.

I just can't give enough praise for this book. I like that he covers both genders in one book. While I have found many great books about parenting just boys or just girls, I find that I will usually read one and not the other. Having both together is terrific! Even if you are the parent of only boys or only girls, you are gonna want to pick this one up. It will help you understand your parenting style, your child and the children they come into contact with. It's not a long exhausting book. The chapters are well laid out. If I had one negative thing to say, it would be that it ends rather flatly. I think in later editions, he may move the last couple of chapters around to end on a stronger note.

If you still aren't convinced, read the first chapter with the link above. That should be enough to hook you!


I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. My opinions are my own and not influenced by the publisher or author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!