And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Seasons


Psalm 1:1-3

1 Blessed is the one
who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
or sit in the company of mockers,
2 but whose delight is in the law of the LORD,
and who meditates on his law day and night.
3 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
whatever they do prospers.

I have learned that if I hear a word or phrase repeated over and over in a short length of time, usually the Lord is trying to point something out to me. This has become more and more frequent over the last few years. God talks to us in all sorts of ways. I would prefer He write on the wall so to speak so I never misunderstand but that usually isn't His style.

The word lately has been seasons. It has come up 3 times in just 2 days. More than that probably. The thing about this life is that it does come in seasons. We naturally have seasons of infancy, childhood, adolescence, adulthood, parenting, grandparenting, elderly age, etc. We have seasons of school, college, work, retirement, etc. Within those seasons are "sub-seasons" of elementary, middles, high school, college, graduate work. You get the idea.

Do you ever forget that things come in seasons? I do, all the time. In the midst of the winter, I begin to feel like it will never be warm again. Or in the midst of a season with one of my kids, I feel like the stage will never pass. But those seasons change. The thing is that there is always another season around the corner.

I tend to dislike change and resist it. However I have to keep in mind that most of the seasons we have had, have changed us for the better. The world lives by the idea "Don't wish for change because it could always be worse." As Christians, I think we need to realize many of God's blessings come from change. If you don't "lose" that job, you might miss the blessing of a better job. If you aren't forced to move, you wouldn't have that bigger home.

I feel a new season approaching for our family. I'm not sure what it involves yet, but I feel like God is preparing me (He knows me!). I am apprehensive about change but excited about a new season. I know God has a blessing in store for us.

He has provided a new season for our sweet friends the Simpsons. They are raising funds for a missions season in Uganda. To support them or learn more about their season, see their blog A Dime in the Sun.

I look forward to this season and to the season of Spring! A time of renewal is just what we need. Refreshment so our  "leaf does not wither— whatever they (we) do prospers."

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this! I needed to hear/read this today. It's awesome to know and see God work in peoples lives! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when He gives us just the right words! I have definatly needed it myself! Looking forward to seeing your new season! :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!