And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Homeschool Happenings





So I have to say the BEST part of school this year is our new schoolroom. There is something wonderful about having a whole separate room (no toys allowed) with the express purpose of doing school. Hubby even got us a flag and so we say the Pledge of Allegiance every morning! Apple and Speedy really like the room too. They are much less distracted in there. We get started at about 8 am every morning. We go over the weather, date, phone number and address, our verse of the day, prayer and pledge. Then we dig in and get started on their work. I try to go back and forth between the kids as they need me.

Speedy is doing very well. After struggling our way through the summer and the first couple of weeks of school, he pretty much has letters A-L down. We have been doing LOTS of flash card reviews of his letters. And lots of association seems to help him, like H for horse and hat. He is also doing good with numbers. He's mostly got down 1-10 so we are beginning to work on the teens. He is so funny, I cannot get him to quit counting 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 18, 19, 20. It is pretty amusing. Me "No honey say 13, 14, 15, 16...." Him "Okay 13, 16, 18, 19....." All I can do is laugh and try again! His days are fairly short. He does numbers, letters, a few worksheets, and a puzzle usually. He also has a devotional book we are working through and a Social Studies book. He is participating in the Science class also so we do a little work to go along with that.

Apple is doing great. She is a little frustrated with all her "hard" work but she is being a trooper. We have a handwritting curriculum coming soon to review. I'm excited because her writing needs some practice. She finds the spelling very boring, but that's to be expected since it is mostly a review after doing Hooked on Spelling last year. She is enjoying her regular Science curriculum and the work for the Science class. She is enjoying Living Literature, Grammer, and Language Arts . Doing a different book each week keeps it very interesting for her, but the material is a challenge! I've had to look up a few of those words so I could refresh my memory! Math U See Beta is a hit here! So far it's mostly review for her so she watches the video and does 2 worksheets, then the next day does 2 more worksheets, and she's ready for the test by the third day! Then we do money, time, and fraction worksheets the other days.

It's been an interesting and enjoyable start to our year! I'm enjoying looking ahead in my Well Planned Day planner to schedule holidays, tests, curriculum ends, etc. It really is an amazing tool and keeps me feeling so organized! I write out our weekly plans and then each day as they complete an activity I write their intial in the check box. I can keep up with our attendance, grades, and more all in one place!

How is your year starting out? Are your kids into the swing of things or wishing for more summer?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up to the Flip Flop Hop... I shared some Alexa Love. Join us again. It is weekly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually thinking of homeschooling my kids, but got kind of discouraged thinking that maybe I couldn't teach them all they needed to know since I didn't have the proper training. Seems like you have everything planned out and are doing great! Gives me hope. Maybe I'll try with my daughter on next year.

    Bri @ Ramblings of a Southern Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was scared when I started too! Take this year to read homeschooling blogs and do some research! You can homeschool if you want to! There are so many curriculum choices now that homeschooling is a lot easier than it use to be! Many states also are beginning to offer public online school which gives you another option!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!