And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Review: Smack-Dab in the Middle of God's Love



I love books for my children that speak of God and His love. I want my kids to be surrounded by the truth that God loves us. I enjoy them having lots of books with Christian themes on their shelves. It's important for them to know that people all over the world love God. I was excited to receive this book and the kids always get excited when a new book arrives for them.

This book has a great premise, a childless couple spend time with children from the neighborhood and share God's love with those children. Willie Juan and Ana are funny and endearing. The kids flock to them for the conversation and Ana's sopapillas. I love that the book is set in a Mexican village and that there are Spanish words sprinkled throughout. It's important to us that our children learn about different cultures and that they see God is known and loved throughout the world. The illustrations are beautiful. They are really a big asset to the book.

Unfortunately I think the book could have been a lot better. I was disappointed that Jesus was not mentioned one time. If you are talking about God's love for us, how can you not mention Jesus and His ultimate sacrifice? Also there was a focus on God showing love by giving us good desserts. Now I love desserts and I believe God gives us great blessing through many things, but in this world of self indulgence and materialism, I want the message to my children to be about loving people and self sacrifice. The idea of introducing children to the term "smack-dab" is cute but it is dispensed in many awkward places throughout the story.

Overall I like the book but I don't love it. I'm sure my kids will flip through it occasionally but it won't be anyone's favorite. If you'd like to learn more about Smack-Dab in the Middle of God's Love by Brennan Mannung and John Blase you can see it at http://www.thomasnelson.com/consumer/product_detail.asp?sku=9781400317134.




I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade
Commission's 16 CFR 255.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!