And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Thursday, October 27, 2011

How Can it Almost be November??

I don't know where this year has gone but I want it back! It has just flown right by. Thanksgiving is only 4 short weeks away. Eeeek! Okay well complaining and whining are just wasting precious time. So I will give you a homeschool update/ recap.

Speedy is doing great. He has pretty much all of his capital letters down pat to recognize and know their primary sound. He still gets a little mixed up with a couple of them but I know with repeated study, he will have them all soon. We've already began the Hooked on Phonics PreK Level 2 with him in our adjusted manner. I'm desperately trying to get my hands on a Math U See Primer set and a set of MUS manipulatives for him. I think he's more than ready for more math. He's definately my mathmatically minded child. Writing is still a slow process for him. He just doesn't have much patience for it. We practice on his name and letters 1-2 times per week but any more than that is just frustrating for him. I'm trying to take deep breaths and not push it because I know he will get it. Other than that he's been polishing up tracing, cutting, shapes, colors, dot to dot, mazes, that sort of stuff. He always participates in some physical activity, handwriting, & music with Apple. We have one more session of our homeschool Science co-op to finish up The Animal Kingdom. After the first of the year we will do Weather & Water and then hopefully a late Spring/ early Summer session.

As for that, this year we took a whole summer off for Apple. We stopped in May and left it alone until the very end of July. Now of course kids are always soaking in and learning and we hit a few "field trip" like stops in that time frame but we had a summer break. We both enjoyed it but I did work with Speedy some along the way. I think however given their boredom towards the end of July, we will readjust this year. We do a LOT of swimming, playdates, etc in the summer and I think that's essential. With that though, I think we will have some school through the summer next year. We will definately need big breaks but especially for math with Apple, I think we will do some reinforcement.

As for Apple, she has continued to do well in pretty much every area. She's on book 4 of the Little House series and she's read a slew of other books from the library. We've pulled in an English textbook on the essentials of writing like nouns, subjects, predicates, etc. She's still practicing handwriting and frankly needs a lot more practice. She's zooming through her Social Studies text book and extra workbooks. She's doing 3 separate bible devotions/ manners materials throughout the week. Her struggle area is still math. I hate to even call it a struggle area because I think generally for her age range she's doing really well. I'm really working with her to let go of counting with her fingers though. She is about halfway through Math U See Beta and she really likes it. I wish we had the manipulatives because I think they are key and I'm working on getting a set. We've already purchased the Gamma set for her. Because we have her enrolled with the state as a second grader, I really feel like she should be finished with Gamma before next fall. So she should be able to begin Gamma in the spring (if we stay on schedule) and then finish it up through the summer. I'd also like to work on her handwriting in the summer through book reports, etc if she hasn't shown a big improvement in it by then. (I'm a planner in case you can't tell!) She loves the Science work and can't wait to do more of it.

So that's where we are, in case I get so caught up in holiday that I forget to tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!