And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Word of the Day

re·spon·si·ble


1. answerable or accountable, as for something within one's power, control, or management (often followed by to or for )
 
2. involving accountability or responsibility
 
3. chargeable with being the author, cause, or occasion of something (usually followed by for )
 
4. having a capacity for moral decisions and therefore accountable; capable of rational thought or action
 
5. able to discharge obligations or pay debts. (from dictionary.com)

Responsible. Are you responsible? Are you teaching your kids responsibility? My two main focuses on responsibilty today are answering other people and planning. If someone takes their time to leave you a personal phone message, text, Facebook post, Tweet, whatever, you should be responsible enough to answer them. If whatever they were relaying to you wasn't important to them, they wouldn't have relayed it. If your children repeatedly see you ignore someone's calls, messages, texts, etc then they will think it's okay to ignore others, including YOU. My time and resources are limited (this will come up again in a minute) and I don't send many frivolous messages or texts so if I message you, be considerate and responsible enough to respond. Show me that you are responsible and considerate.
(It goes with our previous Word of the Day: Considerate.)

Second, responsibility includes planning ahead, considering others time and resources. If you need me to make a dish, volunteer in some capacity, help you with a project, etc and you have known about it for 3 months, don't ask me the day before. Don't push it to the side in your procrastination pile (responsible?) and then get upset if I won't/ can't help you. Now there will always be situations when things come up last minute. I understand. However more and more often I am seeing that people wait until the last possible minute to start recruiting help for different things. My time and resources are limited (sound familiar?) and I need to plan ahead whenever possible. I spend a good amount of time teaching my kids about the importance of planning ahead to buy groceries, make a weekly/ monthly calendar, get projects done on time, etc and when someone calls me at the last minute it makes me cranky and I have to rush around to get resources together. Then my kids think I'm irresponsible because I'm too responsible to explain to them that it's someone else's fault.

Please be responsible and considerate. It will improve your relationships. It will make a HUGE difference in your children, their attitudes, and their futures. Responsibility is lacking these days. It's lacking in workplaces, it's lacking in churches, it's lacking in relationships, and it's lacking in leadership. Let's step forward and be an example to those around us. Let's show others that Chrisians aren't all talk, and no action. Let's be responsible.

** Personal side note, if you are a member of a church or a regular attender (more than 2 times a month) it is your RESPONSIBILITY to get involved and find a place to give your talents whether it's the nursery, an usher, a Sunday School teacher, or someone who volunteers to take out the trash each week. Get involved and be responsible!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!