And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Friday, November 4, 2011

Can You Wrap That & Put it Under the Tree?

Do you ever make wishlists? In general I don't (although recently I made one on Pinterest!) but last year I emailed my mom a wishlist. The only reason I sent it was because she says I'm hard to shop for. Psssh, yea right! HA! Anyhow I was pondering on wishlists and Christmas and gift ideas this morning and I decided if I was going to make a wishlist this year, it'd be really different. I think for a lot of families it'd be different. So here's what mine would look like this year (assuming anyone would be buying me gifts):

  • Pay one month's utility bill
  • a gift card from the grocery store
  • Pay my house taxes for the year
  • A year's supply of toliet paper
  • A year's supply of detergent
  • Freezer meals
  • Large quantities of food staples
  • A half a cow (processed please)
  • Pay off one of our debts

You see while some people are in the world having 10 million dollar weddings that last 72 days, there are many of us still struggling from the economic downturn. There are many of us living on insanely small incomes, incurring extra debt along the way for necessities. Now we are supremely blessed that we haven't lost our home, we haven't had to declare bankruptcy, we haven't lived without anything we've needed, but we don't expect Christmas to be the same this year. We've changed the way we live and what was once deemed a need is now deemed an extravagance. We know we aren't alone in this struggle. We don't expect Christmas gifts for ourselves this year and our children know this year won't hold the bevy of gifts they've come to associate with Christmas. We will spend loads of time with family and we will enjoy every moment.

We will celebrate Christmas for what it is: a rememberance of the birth of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

What are you doing different as a family this year? Has the economy changed your traditional view of the holidays?

2 comments:

  1. I ask for practical stuff every year. This year we really need a new front door. Will I get it? Noooo. As to tp, I told Brooks we needed TP when he he was going out for an errand. He came home with A roll. One! I always wondered who bought those single rolls at Walgreens. Now we know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I am so glad you solved the mystery of the 1 roll tp. It's always plagued me! You do NEED a new front door! I can't believe you don't have one yet!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!