And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, November 7, 2011

History From Cover to Cover




Decision Points by George W. Bush is a personal account of history by a US president. Whether you agreed with Bush in his presidency or not or whether you voted for him or not, this is a great account of things in the first person. I really enjoyed that the format of the book is not chronological but it is set up in chapters by important events or decisions. You get to follow the President from his beginnings all the way through the end of his terms. There are also 2 fantastic photo inserts with many pictures in each.

I've always been interested in the Bush family. I dressed up as Barbara Bush for a school presentation in 6th grade. I did powder in my hair and everything! While I didn't always agree with the decisions of George W., I did vote for him and I know he will always be an important figure in history due to his seat during 9-11. This is a great account of his view of those events, including his memories of the day and the days following. Along with Sept 11, he speaks of the war, Katrina, choosing Cheney and more. If you are interested in politics or history, you will enjoy this account.

It's a long read but there is a lot of ground that he needed to cover for the book to be effective. I did at times feel as though President Bush was trying to implore me to agree with all his decisions. I don't think agreeing or not agreeing with him matters much at this stage of the game, but I think it would be unusual for there not to be some persuasive language. I've always enjoyed history and I will keep this book on my shelf to read excerpts to my kids as they get older and we discuss the events of September 11 more. It is a day no one will ever forget that was alive on that day.

Excerpt and more information is available here.

I received this book from Waterbrook Multnomah for the purpose of review. I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!