And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Thursday, January 5, 2012

First Week of January

It's been a busy week around the Carter household! We got back into homeschool after a lovely 3 week vacation. We started back with a short session on Monday to get back into the swing of things. While the first 2 days weren't ideal by any means, we made it through! It's been a week of new things for us......

1. We decided to implement a new disciplinary tactic. With Apple, we must always be creative and do new things. Any particular punishment only works for a short time with her. She is very smart and quickly finds a way to make the punishment ineffective. So we instituted a "Toy Time Out Box." They are so enarmored with all their new Christmas gadgets that I decided they would make wonderful tools. I took an empty tote box, put it in the laundry room, and declared it the time out toy box. Whenever the kids break a rule, begin to fight, or have a bad attitude. I pick one of their possessions to place in the box. The choice is mine. In order to get a toy back from the box, they have to exhibit good behavior by doing a chore without being asked or following the rules without being reminded. So far, so good. They like the level of "control" they have over getting the toys back. It is also very effective to just walk into their room and choose something. The rule is that they can only pick a toy that is their own when they get one out. Some days the box is practically empty. Right now it is overflowing mostly due to bad attitudes during the first two days of school. I will try to keep you informed to the effectiveness of this punishment.

2. On Monday we began our lifestyle change as a family. Smaller portions, healthier choices, more exercise, and dessert only one day a week as a family. Because we are only having dessert one day a week, it will be something special like ice cream or a homemade treat, etc. I personally have also dropped down to one Diet DP a day and eventually I hope to cut them out all together. I know they are no good for me, I just wish they didn't taste so darn good! I've already dropped 4 lbs and plan to keep it going!

3. Apple cut over 9 inches of hair off for a donation to Pantene Beautiful Lengths! She's been so patient growing it out for a donation. I was ready for it to be cut the last few weeks because it was staying so tangled. Here's her before and after! I'm so proud of her for doing this! She actually prefers her hair on the shorter side but she was concerned today that it was too short. I let her know that she is BEAUTIFUL inside and out! :)





We are BALANCING things just fine these first 5 days of January. I have tons of energy now that I'm eating cleaner and working out again (Zumba!). Today we got so much accomplished. We did homeschool, rearranged Speedy's room and sorted all his toys, cleaned mine and Hubby's room, did laundry, cooked dinner, Zumba, worked for awhile, now blogging, and still have lots of energy. I love it!


How is your January going?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!