And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Friday, February 10, 2012

Switched!


Bill Myers brings us Switched! of the TJ and the Time Stumblers series. This is book number 5 in the series. We have not read any "TJ" books before, but we were very interested to see what it was about. I was intially excited to see it was a Christian author and a Christian fiction book for kids. Apple loves to read and she really enjoys mysteries so I thought she would like this book. The science fiction (ie time traveling) aspects were all new to her. Here is what she thought:

Apple's Review

I thought Switched! was an adventure. I really liked that monster thingy that changed forms. It was funny when they cut TJ's hair off on accident. I liked Tuna because he was funny. It was funny when everyone started getting switched around.

What did think about the relationship between Hesper and TJ?  I thought it was funny when TJ realized that Hesper wore a girdle.

Do you think that by the end of the book TJ felt differently about Hesper? Yes I think they both understood each other better.

Did you feel like you were reading a school book? No it was just a fun adventure book.

What do you think about time travel? I think it's really cool because you go to different places but you are still yourself with your own body. (Mom- I'm feeling the urge to watch Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure right now!!)

Mom's Review

Well Switched! is definately unlike anything I would typically choose. However that's a good thing! Science fiction has never been a favorite genre of mine but Apple and Hubby are very science minded and this book was right up Apple's alley. She had never read anything like this before but she devoured it in less than a day. I heard her laugh out loud several times (which is the best sound ever!). It took me a little while to get use to all the crazy fonts and out of place "scripts," but many kids books are that way. It's just been awhile since I read any that weren't picture books. Apple really enjoys books with a female lead and TJ definately provided that.

In Switched!, 2 dudes from the 23 century are in TJ's time and they are trying to get home. The three encounter various hijinks in their efforts to repair the time-travel pod. As if trying to repair it isn't enough, they also must deal with Bruce Bruiseabone (Tuna and Herby's arch nemesis) and Hesper Breakahart (TJ's arch nemesis) along with the various troubles they get into. It is a very funny story and very age appropriate for Apple.

Switched! is a great homeschool book. In fact, I hope to get the other books in the series for Apple. It introduced her to a whole new genre of books, held the Christian theme of forgiveness, and presented several new vocabulary words for her. Her reading list for this school year includes the Little House on the Prairie series and then I have been very open about allowing her to choose other books on her own. Switched! is one she might not have choosen intially but she loved in the end.


Check out the video trailer for Switched! TJ and the Time Stumblers here.

I received this book from Tyndale Media for the purpose of this review. I was not required to write a postive review and all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!