Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Bacon, Corn, and Catfish, Oh My!

I am a Southern girl through and through and I LOVE to cook so I was so excited to find this cookbook. So many cookbooks, especially those from television chefs, include ingredients that we just can't find in our neck of the woods. This cookbook is fantastic because in the whole thing I only saw one or two ingredients that I wouldn't find at the local grocery store. Tammy Algood is from Nashville (woohoo for another Tennessean!) and she has done a wonderful job putting together all sorts of recipes for us.

The recipes are catergorized, easy to follow, and don't involve too many steps. Many of her recipes are similiar to ones I've used my whole life but I'm excited to try some of her variations. I think my favorite catergory is salads. Now usually the dessert section is the one I use again and again in cookbooks but y'all it's already been 90 degrees here and it's only April 4. It is going to be a scorcher of a year and I am NOT planning on turning on my oven unless I don't have any other choice. Salads are great for you, don't involve loads of planning or ingredients, and they are cool (like temperature cool but also awesome).

The first recipe I plan on trying is the BLT Layered Salad on page 57 because let's face it, we all love BLTs! Especially when I can run to the Farmer's Market and get fresh tomatos all summer long! I was planning to do my own garden again this year but it's just going to be too hot! I'm also looking forward to making the Applesauce Griddle Cakes (pg 237) for my kids. I could go on and on with a list of fantastic recipes but you need to go ahead and check out this cookbook for yourself. To my friends that aren't confident in the kitchen: most of these recipes are super simple. I know you can do it!

Not only is Farm Fresh Southern Cooking full of recipes but she has included many suggestions of the best places to get farm fresh ingredients. She includes little stories of her trips to these different places, she tells you the best things you can get there, and then she gives you all of their contact information! Really she's done everything but go buy it all for you! If you're not Southern I'm so sorry to hear that but you will love this food too! And I'd imagine most of these ingredients are available in your location. Enjoy!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com <http://BookSneeze®.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!