And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Do You Have A Daughter?



I have been hearing about the book  Bringing Up Boys by Dr. James Dobson for some time now. I haven't read it...... Mostly because I'm not a huge fan of Dr. Dobson. I've read other books of his with great expectation and been totally disappointed. When I got a copy of Bringing Up Girls I was hesitant but decided it wouldn't hurt to read it. I am SO glad I did.

Bringing Up Girls is a MUST for anyone with daughters. This book is a fantastic resource. Get out your highlighters moms and dads because you are going to need them! Mostly this is a book that draws in lots of information from lots of different sources and points you back to those sources for more info. It also includes a lot of information that is just common sense but don't we all need a reminder sometimes? This book is valid whether your daughter is 6 months old or 16 years old. Even if you have a son, you might want to read this book to get more insight into the girls he may end up dating or marrying. The book covers the most important topics about girls including teaching them to be ladies, modesty, dating, technology, culture and so much more. The information comes from primarily Christian resources and looks at the world of our daughters in today's society. Dr. Dobson doesn't simply reiterate what we already know, he doesn't harp on us to make our daughter's into Laura Ingalls Wilder, and he doesn't leave us wondering what to do next. He presents valid, timely information and gives us suggestions on what to do next.

 This is a long book but so worth your time. I will be getting my hands on a copy of Bringing Up Boys next! Hubby and I need all the sound, Biblical advice we can get in this world we are raising our children in. If I had one thing to criticize it would be his lack of information for homeschoolers. While he does praise homeschooling (twice I think) he presents a majority of the information for the perspective of children that are raised in public schools and daycares. I would like to have seen a page or two dedicated to those of us that school our children at home. I think there are some valid topics to cover there like temperments when spending all your time in the family unit, socialization, and family dynamics.

I received this book from Tyndale Media for the purpose of this review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!