And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Sunday, July 8, 2012

That Again??



These are my babies whom I love so very, very much. I would endure anything for them. I had long, uncomfortable pregnancies with both of them and short but painful deliveries with them. We suffered through sleepless nights, potty training, and more. I'd do it all over again in a second..............

But...... I really, really, really am tried of defending our decision to homeschool. I know as long as we do it, the controversy will never really end. I expect it from strangers or people we have just met. We even are at a church now where we are the only homeschoolers. We deal with it pretty well most of the time. But really yesterday just got on my nerves. Now if you read my previous post you know I'm under some stress and yesterday was just a very hard day for me anyway but when a distant relative made a very blunt comment that we just needed to enroll them in public school, I almost lost it. Like explode, blast out an elder, kind of losing it. I kept my cool and I'm very glad that I did but it made me so *ANGRY*.

I never, ever try to tell anyone else what they should do with their children. I support friends and family members no matter which path they chose. I expect the same respect for our decision. Now the sane side of me says this older lady is from a different generation and doesn't see us enough to know how well adjusted our children are or to see how very smart they are. I can come up with all kinds of excuses for her comment but honestly the real me is still fuming. Because the comments were so unexpected and the situation was already so stressful I just fumbled out a few words and walked away.

Sigh. My children are VERY socialized. They don't spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week in a small room with the same 25 people everyday. We have a varied schedule and many, many friends, activities, and experiences throughout our school days. We are able to spend more time with family and working on the activities we think are the most important. We aren't social pariahs. My kids play soccer and do choir and camps and other activities with children in our own neighborhood and at the college across town. We recently changed churches but we still have fun with our friends from our previous church and now we are involved in activities in the church we currently attend. We also do a Science co-op with a big group of children of various ages that are from various neighborhoods and backgrounds. We have friends all over the world and we aren't in a "bubble."

My children learn at their pace and their own level. My 7 year old is a 3rd grader and reading on a 6th grade level. I think she's learning plenty. My 5 yr old son is well on his way to reading and he is as "normal" as they come. One of my children is outspoken and passionate about everything, one is shy and reserved and loves to observe. One is great at reading, one is great at math. One loves art, music, and drama while the other loves sports and sci-fi. One sleeps a lot, one sleeps a little, one eats a lot, one eats a little.

My children are children. It doesn't matter where they spend their days learning. They are bright beautiful children who genuinely love the Lord. They are bold in their testimonies, bold in their prayers, and confident in themselves. They are wonderful and they are mine and they make me so very proud. The Lord has led us to homeschool and we will follow Him. We will press on and we will endure ugly comments. We will homeschool and we will be proud of it.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed that you didn't blow up in the person's face! Your children are wonderful! We will, however, have to keep our girls apart...you know, for the safety of the universe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you have to deal with someone questioning your parenting. It' stinks!!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you my friends! You are so right, J! They can't have anymore planning sessions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh...people can be so cruel! I think people should mind their own dern business and not worry about others so much! We all make the decisions that we think are the best for our children and if others don't like it....well, there are certain body parts they can kiss! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!