And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Persuaded




One of my sweet children is a STRONG WILLED CHILD. When that child was very young everyone insisted I read THE book on strong willed children. When I read THE book, I was completely disappointed. While the author did a great job describing strong willed children, I didn't feel like anything in the book helped me interact with that child in a better way. I had searched out that book expecting a miracle. I was very forlorn.

If you have a SWC (strong willed child), you know that life can be difficult. Life can be insane. Life can be gloomy and hard to handle. However as my SWC has grown, I have learned to ride the roller coaster with more flexibility. I've learned to recognize SOME of the ordeals as simply SWC syndrome. As I began reading You Can't Make Me [But I Can Be Persuaded] by Cynthia Ulrich Tobias, I was reminded of THE SWC book that I had read years ago. I even commented to a friend that this book was not helpful, it was just another description of the child that I already know is in fact a SWC. I'm so glad I kept going!

While these 10 chapters aren't going to provide you a miracle, Tobias does have some wonderful insight into the inner workings of the mind of a SWC. She had one herself and openly proclaims she was one! She also had a child that was not a SWC. That is the dynamic of our house. One that is a SWC and one that is stubborn but compliant. One people pleaser, one who could care less what everyone else thinks. One classic thinker and one who lives way, way, way outside the box. Tobias, in the later chapters, gives some sturdy advice on making it through the day with your SWC and on nurturing your relationship with your SWC. She even provides a handy checklist in the back to keep on hand for a reminder on particularly rough days.

It is always wonderful to know you aren't the only one. Your child isn't the only one. I have been blessed with some wonderful people in my life who have raised a strong willed child and survived. I've been able to see those SWC as they navigate life as adults. Many of them are successful, confident, happy members of society. Oh how I pray that over my own strong willed child!


"I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!