And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Friday, November 30, 2012

Praying with Passion



Do you find yourself falling into prayer ruts? I know I do. It can become a mindless task to repeat the same prayer day after day, night after night. I recognize it quickly when my children say the same prayer verbatim more than a time or two. It's harder to realize when I am doing it! I find myself praying the exact same prayers for my children, asking for blessings upon them that they come to know a real relationship with Jesus, that His hand is over their future spouses, that the embrace obedience and love for one another, etc. Well I was ready to be out of that pattern. Then I found Upside-Down Prayers for Parents. Lisa T. Bergren is encouraging you to pray HARD prayers for your children!

Just like other authors (Platt, Chan) are encouraging us to step outside the box ourselves, Bergren says step out of the box in your prayer life for your kids. The book is set up in 31 devotions which is perfect because I'm going to need to pull this out again and again to remember and it's only a short month's worth of readings. Each day is followed with a prayer, a writing prompt for you, AND questions to ask your kids. She even has a question for younger children and an alternate one for older kids. I'm going to read it all the way through once and then go back and do the discussion questions for my kids.

I've gone through quite a few of the devos and while it is scary to ask God for hard things for Apple and Speedy, it is exciting to be outside of that box. "Day 1: I pray you'll get caught doing things wrong- and find the good and true path." AMEN! I mean at first glance we think we don't want our kids to do things wrong, but ya know what? They're going to. We do. All the time. And so will they. I so want them to gain that discernment to realize which path is good and true and to seek it! How about "Day 6- I pray you'll sweat- and learn what it means to work for what's wothwhile...."? Hallelujah! A special prayer for an end to the sense of entitlement that we are all battling against. Check the links above for more info on the book and the author.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for your thoughts and the review. Hope you'll stop over to my site. I have 4 giveaways going right now and love to meet new people too.

    Have a great weekend!
    Diane :O)
    www.dianeestrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the fantastic and thoughtful review. I'm so glad you understood what I was after! Blessings on your head--LTB

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!