And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Friday, December 28, 2012

Homeschool Reboot

The beginning of a new school semester is a terrific time to try a new curriculum or program. If you've tried something in the fall semester that just didn't work for you or your child, take the pressure off and try a different approach.


logo

 I told you about a Reading Eggs special here. I just wanted to take a minute to tell you about our experience with the Reading Eggs trial. I had all my judgements ready before we even tried the site. I just knew it would be way too easy for Apple and she would grow bored with it and I thought it wouldn't be exciting enough for Speedy and he'd grow bored with it. I was wrong on both counts. Apple jumped right in and began playing games that she found interesting and that I could tell were reinforcing all the grammer and reading rules. She was totally disappointed when her trial ended.

Speedy's trial was a little longer and his experience was totally different due to their levels. He took a "pretest" to determine his level. Now I had some issues with the pretest. He scored above his level which is great. The problem is that the pretest only allows for 3 missed questions and then it's over. He did miss 3 questions along the way but I could instantly see that all 3 misses were due to problems with the mouse or program. I felt so frustrated for him because he was doing so well with the questions. I never found a way for him to retest so his trial was spent working on items below his actual reading level. I was glad that he still enjoyed the program and found it fun. He was frustrated several times with repeated activities on items he has already mastered. I'd recommend Reading Eggs allow a retest or have an option for parents to override scores. That would've made the program even better!

Speedy has done great with our current reading program. It's working for him and he's ahead of his level. However he will finish the curriculum long before the end of our school year. I think I've found the perfect thing to keep him working.........


I received a free trial based on involvement with US Family Guide Bloggers. All opinions are my own and I was not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!