And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, December 31, 2012

Too Much

In the past my word for the year has been just one, simple positive word to give me direction for the new year. I jokingly told some friends a week or so ago that my word this year would be "too much." That was following all the media coverage of the Newtown tragedy. It was simply too much. We felt overwhelmed by it all. I still do.



For my little family, we are hoping 2013 brings big changes. I said that last year and while we had some big changes (10 weeks of law enforcement academy for Hubby was HUGE), they weren't what we were expecting. Right now everything we own is in some type of disrepair, our finances need an overhaul, and Hubby is looking to move forward in his career in a new capacity. BIG CHANGES. We hope.

Even if we weren't looking at big changes, this world is just too much. Too much tragedy, too much despair, too much sin, too much heartache, too much "too much." We own too much, we want too much, we eat too much, we watch too much, and we are going too much. Sound familiar? I'm certain many of you feel this way too.

As I mull over my resolutions for the new year, even they can be too much. I can't organize every single item in my house (but boy do I try!) and I can't clean every single inch of space in my house, and I can't lose all the weight I need to lose in one week. If I tried to pray longer, eat better, exercise more, read my Bible more, spend more quality time with my husband and kids, blog more, clean more, organize more, school plan more, redo my finances, and get more sleep I would need 48 hours in every day! It just can't all happen. Not at once. Not well.

So the motto- too much. I will set my resolutions. I will dig in my heels and try but I won't be overwhelmed by too much. I will tackle the areas of my life that are too much- too much clutter, too much eating, too much negativity. I will look at them with an open mind and much prayer and see where to go from there.

My biggest "too much" areas:

* Too much emotional distress from people who don't care, don't follow Jesus, and don't think of anyone but themselves. Somehow I've found myself in the midst of many like that. I will pray for them, I will shine the light of Jesus in their lives if I can, but I will no longer put myself or my family in the position of dealing with their issues and drama. I can't. It's too much.

* Too much stuff. I started working on that area in 2012. I've cleared clutter, lightened the stockpile, let go of things I don't need but I need to do more. At some point we will need to move from the house we are in now. It might be this year, might be 2 or 3 years from now, but it will happen so the too much needs to go. I don't want to pack or move anything we don't want, need, or use.

* Too much me, not enough Jesus. Period.

* Too much stress. It's gotta go. I think the first 3 will rectify this one.

Happy New Year to you and your family. May you be blessed with peace and relieved of  your "too much." May your relationship with Jesus grow and your stress shrink. May your heart's desires be filled by the One who is LOVE!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!