And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Running the Marathon

In one particularly difficult moment in my life, I was told that I would need to run the marathon, not the sprint. It was a profoundly correct statement for that season of my life and it has stuck with me since then. We are most often running a marathon, not a sprint. Most seasons of our lives are seasons, not days or weeks. Are you in a difficult season? Are you downtrodden? Are you tired? Have you grown weary in your faith as you struggle through this time? I know many people in that cycle. I've been in that cycle.



God often sends along just the encouragement we need. I first told you about Unstoppable by Nick  Vujicic a few months ago. It's taken me awhile to get around to reading it (God's timing). I'm so glad I have it. It is so uplifting, so encouraging, so enlightening. Nick Vujicic has overcome so much in his life. He really is an inspiration. The most encouraging thing in his book is not his passion for life, his love for God, or his great stories about other Christians (but you will find all those things in these pages). The most encouraging thing is when he shares his moments of despair. He is real. He is a real person. He isn't afraid to let all of us know that he has had bad days. Really bad days. It doesn't end there though. Through prayer and the love of God Nick came out of those bad days. He got up and started again.

That's what we need! I see a trend of pessimistic people (many claiming to be Christians) that cry their woes all day. There's never a real true moment when they are grateful for what God has given them. There's rarely a moment when they say,"My life is hard but I can still serve the Lord." Instead they wallow. Now we all have our pity party days but they should be few and far between. Satan works in fear. He works in despair. He works in illness and self pity. Don't fall prey to his tricks! Pick up Unstoppable. Get encouragement from someone who has overcome so much to serve God!

I received this book free from Waterbrook Multnomah. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!