And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sunday Night



The four of us spent tonight enjoying the 2 hour premiere of The Bible on the History Channel. Normally I shy away from shows about the Bible and Christianity because so often they paint a negative picture. However I did some research on The Bible and was impressed by the information I saw in Guideposts and online. We decided we would all sit down as a family to watch it and Hubby & I had the option to turn it off or send the kids out of the room at anytime (obviously that is always the rule but we usually remind the kids in instances like this). 

I must say I was impressed. I could gush over it. Now let's go ahead and get the negatives out of the way for the naysayers:

* Yes it was dramatized. The only way to visually present the Bible without dramatization would be to have someone sit and read it. 

* Yes it skipped over parts, even some big parts. Realistically there is NO way that every single bit of the Bible could be visually presented unless it had a limitless budget and could go on forever (in which case people would quit watching which would totally undo the purpose of this production).

That's about all I can think of that could be seen as negative. I saw some folks on Facebook complaining that it was inaccurate. I didn't see that. I saw folks complain that Moses wasn't humble. I disagree. I thought that the Moses on the show genuinely reflected the Moses who relied heavily on his faith.

Now I'm tired of the negative while I'm still excited about it so let's move on to the positive.

* It did a great job visualizing the events of the Bible for us. My kids were on the edge of their seats with their eyes glued to the screen for virtually the whole 2 hours. They were asking fantastic questions during the commercial breaks. It got them excited about the stories they have been hearing their whole lives. It helped Apple understand why Lot's wife was turned to a pillar of salt. It helped Speedy comprehend the emotion of the Israelites as they ran into the Red Sea with Pharaoh's army chasing them.

* It was exciting enough to draw in someone who has never read the Bible. Isn't that the purpose? Aren't we all suppose to be welcoming in unbelievers and explaining our faith to them? Shouldn't we be reaching outside the church to those who have never read the Bible? Shame on Christians who are piously puffing out their chests because THEIR favorite portion of the Bible was left out.

* It has the ability to renew someone's faith by reminding them of those that had GREAT faith. Who didn't feel a catch in their throat and a tear in their eye as Abraham raised his knife? I mean I knew what the outcome would be but to see it on the screen and imagine a father's love as his son begged for his life. Wow. That.is.faith.in.action.

* It was entertaining. Yes that's a plus. Because we could have watched a cartoon or another show equally as entertaining as a family tonight. But we didn't. We gave the end of our Sunday to Him as we watched a visual portrayal of His word. And we were entertained. And we were sharing that time as a family all snuggled on the couch together discussing the Bible during the few commercial breaks of The Bible.

You don't have to like it. You don't have to agree with me. But I hope you watch and that you watch with an open mind. And if you are a pastor or a preacher or a person in a position of power at any type of Christian organization, I hope you carefully consider any negative words that flow from your mouth or fingers. You may push someone right out the door instead of inviting them 


All opinions are my own. I received no compensation for this post.

1 comment:

  1. I loved The Bible! Can't wait to see more. I am a Christian, but I did not grow up reading the Bible. It was just not something my family did. So, I truly enjoyed seeing the stories that I did know and I think I have a better understanding as well. On a side note, Joshua and I kept humming "Under the Sea" when Moses and the Israelites were going through! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!