And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

My Own Faith

My journey to faith was unique (as everyone's is). My parents weren't active Christians when I was growing up. Any time I spent in church was due to other family members and the families of my friends. When I reached high school I made the choice to go to church. My initial "relationship" with God was based on head knowledge and emotion surrounding a friend's unexpected death. Later in life after I met Hubby and we hit some bumpy patches we came to a true relationship with Jesus together.

Since that time we have pursued Jesus and a growing relationship with Him. I often talk to others about the importance of the relationship vs. Biblical knowledge. It's something we've struggled with as we raise our children. We want them to learn the Bible stories that we didn't necessarily learn as kids. We want them to find their relationship with Jesus much earlier than we did but how do we get them to that point? Reviewing this book for Waterbrook Multnomah has given me some great places to start.



Ryan & Josh Shook were raised by fantastic Christian parents. They spent their childhoods in church but later in life the brothers both felt as if something was missing. Over time they both let go of their "secondhand" religion to find firsthand faith. Ryan & Josh have combined their stories into one book to help others seeking something bigger find their own firsthand faith. 

The 8 chapters really fly by. The format of the book is perfect for a Sunday School class or small group setting. Each chapter ends with "Think About It" questions and "Might Try This" suggestions. The Shooks have also included loads of quotes from people who have lived through the same journey of finding their own faith. Firsthand would also be a wonderful study for an older youth or college group. Check it out if you find yourself struggling to find your own relationship with the One who created it all.

I received a free copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!