And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, July 29, 2013

Almost Time

Our school year begins later this week. Dun dun dunnnnnnnn. Actually I'm feeling good about it. My house is full of boxes (including some of homeschool resources) but I'm certain we can wade through. I didn't want to move during our school year but we are still looking for a new house so looks like we will be moving while school happens.

I'm excited about some changes in curriculum we are making this year. Apple will be a fourth grader and because she is such an avid reader I have selected more resources that will involve her reading independently. Last year we added Life of Fred into our rotation as a supplement to Math U See and both children love it so we will continue to do dual math.

Friends recommended Shurley English and I was ready to move away from traditional English textbooks so I order Shurley for both kids. I buy as much curriculum used as possible and Shurley was no exception. I had to order the TM and workbooks separately. When they all arrived Speedy's was perfect. Unfortunately I had made an error and ordered the school version of Shurley 4 rather than the homeschool version. Somehow I managed to order the right workbook for that version but they weren't exactly the same edition so I have unmatching Shurley 4 in the wrong version. I wasn't completely sold on Shurley for Apple anyhow. A few weeks ago a friend showed me the Wisdom Books for Language Arts that are recommended by the Duggars. They look like they will be perfect for Apple and they are inexpensive so I ordered the first set of them for her. I'll let you know how she likes them.

Speedy will be using Shurley English since I ordered the correct items for him. He will be focusing on math, reading, and handwriting. We will also begin spelling. He's become quite the baseball player and I'm hoping all the extra physical activity in the evenings will improve his focus in the mornings. He hasn't complained about school starting soon so I hope he's secretly excited.



My goal for the summer for Apple was:

1. Teach her to cook 2 dinner meals from start to finish. Well we got one down pat. She can make a mean meal of sauerkraut and hot dogs/ brats. The other meal I intended to teach her was chicken salad sandwiches. While we didn't have a formal session she has been making tuna salad for sometime and has made chicken salad once. I've tried to bring her in the kitchen (at least briefly) every time I am making a meal. She loves to cook and I want to continue to nurture her in that area. Speedy usually wanders in as well and is beginning to help too.



2. I wanted Apple to read and do unit studies for 3 of the books on her reading list. To be honest this didn't go as well as I had planned. It was a battle to get her to do the work. She did make it through Bridge to Terabithia and The Hobbit but just barely. She had no trouble reading and comprehending them but she wasn't thrilled to do the unit study work. I am praying her attitude improves as she has many more books on the list. I may have to tweak some of the unit studies for her so that they keep her interested.



All in all it has been a lovely, busy, productive, fun, cool summer that is ending too quickly BUT I am looking forward to the structure of the school year. We have taken on more extracurricular activities than we intended to so it will be a busy fall as well.

Ecc 3:1 There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!