And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, August 19, 2013

Can It Be?



I've felt pretty comfortable in my parenting the last year. Although we've had behavior issues I've felt equipped to deal with them. I feel like I can relax a little in the homeschool area because I now have some years in my belt. It was just beginning to feel as though we were moving along at a steady pace when things changed. I won't embarrass anyone with details but let's just say the tween stage seems to be approaching at a rapid pace.

I need help again! I need to read books and talk to other moms and I talked with the pediatrician and whoa! Right back out of the comfort zone. Of course God plans these things so they don't hit us all at once. We are on the very, very, very beginning edge of this stage. I still have plenty of time to prepare (read that pretend to prepare) for the BIG changes. Whew. I'm skeered.



My first tool for this is She's Twelve Going on Twenty by Kim Camp. I didn't realize until I began reading it that this is actually a re-release. Since originally writing the book the author has divorced and so she has gone back and added in new information and things she's learned while being a single parent. When I first read the description on the book I thought maybe I was jumping the gun but it describes tweens as 9-12. 9! My sweet baby will be 9 in a few months. EEK! 

I was so relieved to see that some of the suggestions in this book are things we are already addressing with Apple- beliefs, influence, music & media, girl friendship drama. Of course she has suggestions for lots of issues that we haven't approached yet at this young age. Camp has some great, Biblical based suggestions for parents. She has years of experience raising her own daughters and serving preteens/ teens in other outreaches. Many of her suggestions come from countless conversations with girls over the years. Each of the chapters concludes with a section for moms & daughters to "work it out." 

I love to read books like this and take suggestions from several then talk over the ideas with Hubby so we can decide which approach is the best for our kids. With these big issues there are lots of things to take into consideration so it's really important to be on the same page and to be in prayer. If you are coming up on the tween age, remember that you are building up to the teen years. You can put in extra work and prayer now during this special stage or you can just sit in fear and wait on what the world wants you to believe is a rebellious, impossible stage with your child.

I received this book free for the purpose of review from Booksneeze. All opinions are my own.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!