And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Crime Fighting Chick



I've always had an interest in law enforcement. I took several Criminal Justice classes in college, I love shows like Criminal Minds, and Hubby works in law enforcement. When I saw Critical Pursuit by Janice Cantore and read that she was a police officer for 22 years I couldn't wait to read it! I was so glad that it was a mild crime fiction without too much violence (too much violence makes me worry!). 

It is a fiction crime drama about search & rescue officer named Brinna Caruso. Officer Caruso usually works with her dog Hero but circumstances will lead her into a brief partnership with recently widowed detective Jack O'Reilly. Brinna and Jack both have some major events happening in their lives that make them question their purpose and God. Will they turn to God in the storm? Will they find a way to be friends or more? Will they both talk to their mothers? I found it interesting that both characters avoided their mothers although for different reasons. 


I really liked the characters and the storyline but I have to say it felt a little lacking by the end. There were so many good story elements that could've been developed but felt as though they were left hanging. This is the first book in the series so I have great hope that those details will be embellished in subsequent books. Brinna's story of being kidnapped at the age of 6 and then rescued is heart grabbing. The idea of her becoming an officer to help rescue kids is inspiring. Jack's development from depressed and angry to a man with a mission is exciting. The book is good and I'm hoping the rest of the series will be better. If you like crime drama without excessive violence then you will like this book by Cantore.

I received a free copy of this book from Tyndale Blogging Network for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!