And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, August 5, 2013

Studying Dinosaurs



My kids are FASCINATED by dinosaurs. Most of the kids I've met are intrigued by these ginormous reptiles. Their size alone is interesting but add in the element of mystery surrounding dinosaurs and their demise and suddenly it's a topic of great consideration.

On a recent trip to a museum my kids spent a good deal of the time "playing" with this motion activated T-Rex.

He wasn't really scared, he's just clowning for the camera.

She seems to think she is a dinosaur.

So for all of their excitement over the subject I have to say it's one I hesitate to tackle. I'm just not that knowledgeable about dinosaurs. I mean I know what we've learned on Dinosaur Train but what does the Bible say about dinosaurs? I am so glad to have some answers now that we have Chronicles of Dinosauria: The History & Mystery of Dinosaurs and Man by Dave Woetzel.




Woetzel has outlined his knowledge and research of dinosaurs in this beautiful text that was illustrated by Richard Dobbs. The 8 chapters include fossil evidence, historical evidence, aartistic evidence, Biblical evidence, and more. My kids (especially Speedy) are going to LOVE this book as a science study for homeschool. I'm gathering material now to use this book as the foundation of a dinosaur study.



Really it is perfect timing too. My kids also LOVE listening to books on CD while we are in the car. Hubby & I love it too because we can discuss the books as a family. We've been checking out books on CD all summer from our library. Our last book was How to Train Your Dragon (which is nothing like the movie) and the kids got all stirred up about dragons. Lo and behold there is a whole section on dragons in Chronicles of Dinosauria!

If you are looking for a study or resource on dinosaurs with a Biblical perspective I encourage you to check out Chronicles of Dinosauria. You can find more information and a list of other reviews here. Check out a preview of the book here.





 I received a free copy of this book from MasterBooks as a member of the Book Reviewers for New Leaf Publishing. All opinions are my own.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I really appreciate it. God Bless.

    Richard Dobbs
    -Illustrator

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!