And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Journey

A little over 5 years ago, God started guiding me into the world of homeschool. I became one of those Garfield cat toys with my arms and legs spread out fighting against the pull. I laughed at the idea. I panicked even at the thought of it. I wasn't prepared. I didn't want to homeschool. I didn't know how. I wasn't patient enough. I couldn't do it.

I had some amazing cheerleaders around me to encourage me. They all assured me I could in fact do it. I argued and told them my child was different from theirs. She was strong-willed. She and I generally didn't see eye to eye. I didn't have the patience. I would not be able to teach her. They kept gently prodding. God kept gently (and sometimes not so gently prodding). I begrudgingly decided to try it for 1 year. I was certain after 1 year we would put her in school and go on about a "normal" life.

I'll be honest. That first year was tough. We've had tough years since then. However I learned that I can do it. I learned that even though I don't always have the patience I should have, God is merciful. The biggest thing I have learned is that

God is working on me while I'm teaching my children.

He's helping me gain patience through this journey. He's teaching me all about those fruits of the Spirit. I'm memorizing scripture right along with my kids. And over time the most amazing thing happened

I can't imagine NOT homeschooling my kids.

Me. The one who resisted. The one who all but refused. Now I'm the one gently encouraging friends that they can in fact homeschool their kids. The patience will come. The love will grow. The joy is infectious. 

I want to encourage YOU. Stop telling yourself you can't do it. Stop counting your faults. You can do it if you choose to homeschool. Don't miss God's call. Homeschooling my kids is a huge blessing to me. Even on the bad days. Maybe even MOST on the bad days because I know I'm dealing with them out of love when they are having a terrible, awful, no good day.



Look at those faces! I'm so glad I'm not missing out on this opportunity!

1 comment:

  1. You mean those terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days where you want to move to Australia? ;) Anyway, your post sounds like something good for me to read after my post on FB this morning. God has exactly the path we need for ourselves and others so I shouldn't doubt it. When I let go of trying to plan things on my own, doors open where I never expected. If He says homeschool, then homeschool I will and He will work in ways I never imagined.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!