And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Reeling in the Emotions






How often do you feel like your dirty laundry list of bad behaviors is just piling up and piling up? Now how often do you feel like you have tangible solutions to help you overcome those behaviors? Right....almost never. Me too. I've read so many Christian books about parenting, marriage, and daily living that help me identify all the areas where I am lacking but very few of them give advice to overcome those behaviors. I need more than scripture, I need more than extra prayer time, I need more than a study group. All of those are FANTASTIC resources and certainly helpful but sometimes I just need more. Lysa TerKeurst gives more. I put the cart before the horse here and read the Unglued Devotional awhile back. It was great. Guess what's even better? The book Unglued. For reals.



Reading this book is like talking to a good friend. An open, honest friend who is laying it all out on the table. In fact I've been able to have some terrific conversations with some friends who are reading through this book too. I haven't spoken to anyone yet that isn't LOVING this book. So let me give you the low down. Do you ever just come apart? Do you ever have a moment where your emotions are controlling you rather than you controlling your emotions? We all do, right? Do you feel good about it afterwards? I sure don't. TerKeurst identifies 4 ways we deal with things: exploders who blame, exploders who shame, stuffers who build barriers, and stuffers who collect retaliation rocks. As you can probably tell from the titles, none of these are positive ways to deal with conflict. Join Lysa's journey of imperfect progress. See if you can make your own imperfect progress. Check out her formulas and plans of action to see if they can help you as much as I feel like they will help me.

Really this couldn't have come at a better time for me. My stress level has been OFF THE CHARTS for the last few months. I'm having a hard time just functioning. I like to keep things together and lately I just can't. I've got too much going on. Life is busy and messy and my year's motto of avoiding "TOO MUCH" just doesn't seem to be working. It's all too much and all we can do is keep praying and pushing through. Of course I'm stuffing and exploding all over the place. I don't like it and I don't like myself. I'm tired and I want to handle things the right way, not make them worse. I appreciate God bringing me the blessing of this book at such a time as this. I recommend Unglued wholeheartedly to every woman-young, old, married, single.

I received a free copy of this book for the purpose of review from Booksneeze. All opinions are my own and I want not required to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!