And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Friday, October 11, 2013

Fall Day of Delight

These are the days we love. This was one of those prime homeschool days. We needed it because public schools are on Fall Break here this week and we didn't take a Fall Break so my kids were OVER school by today. We slept in this morning then took our time having breakfast and getting ready for the day.

Next we took a trip to our local library. Both kids LOVE a trip to the library. We actually haven't been in a few weeks so they were really excited to go today. Speedy has now completed Hooked on Phonics 2nd grade levels 1 and 2 and now admits that he enjoys reading. Today was the first time he begged to get more books than I told them they could have. Not only do they both love to read, they both enjoy getting books in the fiction and non-fiction sections! As a homeschool mom, when my kids choose to read a non-fiction book it feels like they just took a free class that I didn't have to teach! :) They also choose some audiobooks for the car. We are on Book 2 of A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. Apple is having a hard time finding new books as she has read almost all of them. Seriously. She's read a LOT of books. Anyone have any suggestions for an almost 9 year old that can read pretty much any level? I'm finding it harder to come up with books that are appropriate for her. She finally managed to find her 8 with a little help from me. I'm digging the fact that she snagged a Sacagawea biography. She also got a fall craft book.....Mama isn't so fond of crafts......

So the local wellness center (new to our area and it is a gym with a cafe, clinic, and classrooms inside) was hosting a (FREE!) cooking class for kids today. Going to new places always makes me a little nervous but given Apple's LOVE for cooking I decided to tough it out. I'm SO glad we did! Speedy wasn't super THRILLED like Apple but he paid attention. So this was such a cool class. The chef was Chef Remmi. She is awesome! You can check her out at her website: http://www.cooktimewithremmi.com/. The kids loved learning a few recipes from a teen! Not only that but Apple won a cookbook! She was SO SO SO happy! She told me it was the best day ever. They were able to try the foods that Chef Remmi cooked and Apple got a picture with her. There were some healthy eating booths set up too and they got a cup and plate each and played some games.


Since Speedy was a good sport about the cooking class we stopped by the park to play a little too. What a beautiful day to be outside! I'm so glad we were able to spend a day without a rigid schedule. It was nice to just enjoy ourselves and take in some fun, free activities!



{I didn't receive any compensation to mention Chef Remmi, I just thought she was awesome and wanted to share her site with you.}

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!