And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Money





The other night I was half listening to a news program while I got ready for bed. I fully gave my attention to the show when I realized the three guests on the program were in a heated debate. The subject was whether the city (not my city but a very large city nearby) should take out a $6 million loan to build a convention center. A convention center. For $6 million. In debt. Seriously?!?!? One lady was making sense saying the city wasn't really a convention center type place and that resources could be used to improve things that were already tourist draws. One guy couldn't quit saying the city needed more hotels before the convention center and then the last guy was just certain that $6 million in debt and a new convention center would solve all the city's problems just like it did with this big city and that big city. Seriously?!?! City leaders are keeping up with the Jones in other cities? Where are the responsible, reasonable adults? Evidently there are very few in city, state, and federal governments.

All of this makes me so sad for the world my children are growing up in. When are we all going to learn to take a minute to think before we make huge decisions? Things really do seem to be spiraling out of control- from our government in a lock down over a budget that is out of control to cities thinking America needs one more $6 million convention center when million dollar convention centers sit unused in city after city. I think most of them need to read Luke where it says:

“Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it?" (Luke 14:28, NIV)



Money is in crisis right now. The economy isn't really recovering. New jobs aren't really being created. The cost of living is increasing and none of it seems like it will be changing anytime soon. Now is a good time to get a grip on your spending and make a plan for your money. If you need a place to start maybe you should check out Dave Ramsey's The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan of Finacial Fitness


Now if you've never heard or heard of Ramsey (I'd be surprised because he's pretty popular) then you need to know that he can be......harsh. He definitely isn't a guy that's around to build up your ego. However his advice is sound. As he says he's just telling you how your grandparents did it (or my great-grandparents really). He gives common sense ways to apply your money so that your money is working for you. This book will walk you through your financial stage step by step. If you are working a huge pile of debt then I would recommend you start with Financial Peace but the same "debt snowball" plan is included in this book too. 

As I said he's tough but his principles are practical. Now I will say that he doesn't give a lot of wiggle room for extenuating circumstances. Everyone's situation is different. For us we are working off of one income and while I do 3 jobs on the side they are all low paying gigs. I can't pick up regular part time work and neither can Hubby due to his ever changing schedule. Since we homeschool I would end up paying more for childcare than I would make at any job. We aren't willing to give up homeschool and so we struggle financially more than we'd like to. Even in our situation though Dave has some tips to help get through the lean times.

I received a free copy of this book from Booksneeze for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!