And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Governess and the Gentleman

I've always been a history buff (I even got an award in high school for taking so many social studies classes) but I'm not always a fan of historical fiction. I like historical fiction from all different time periods as long as the book isn't bogged down with period information. Do you know what I mean? I have a hard time selecting historical books because I don't know (without reading them) if they will be the kind I like or the kind I don't like! Eek. I decided to take a chance on The Governess of Highland Hall by Carrie Turansky. I'm so glad I took the chance! This is the kind of historical fiction I love.



Julia has just returned to England from a stint serving as a missionary alongside her parents in India. Her father is ill and she must find work to help support her family. After a rather unusual interview she becomes the governess at Highland Hall for the children and nieces of Sir William. She faces opposition from the nieces, the head maid, and sometimes it seems Sir William is against her. She makes friends with Sir William's sister Sarah soon however and things begin to change. Sir William begins to confide in Julia. Everything is unsettled though as Julia tries to find her place between the servants and the family. Will Highland Hall ever be a peaceful place?



Do you love Downton Abbey? I DO, I DO! And so I love this book. It is very similar with things happening downstairs and things happening upstairs and sometimes the people from the floors cross paths. There is no overwhelming historical information in this book (yay!). Each character brings a unique piece to this puzzle of Highland Hall. It is certainly a roller coaster ride as you read. Some parts seem very slow and steady and then suddenly there is a huge exciting spin in the tale. While there is plenty of romance in this book it is a very gentle read.  I found it hard to put down. I was so happy at the end to see there will be a future book about Highland Hall.

I received a free copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own.



Be sure to check out the latest Giveaways here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!