And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Family Sundays

I've fallen a little behind on my family Sunday meal posts. One Sunday we had a holiday meal at the church my parents attend and then last week we just enjoyed leftovers because we had our Thanksgiving last Saturday.

Today we are back in the swing of things and the meal today was Taco Soup. Now taco soup is one of those versatile meals that can be changed and adjusted depending on the items you have on hand. I enjoy trying new variations to this family favorite. I will give you the recipe I used today and then tell you some other ways I've made it.

Taco Soup

2 15 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 can golden corn
1 can black beans (drained)
1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles
1 lb ground pork cooked & drained (1st time trying pork. I was pleased! Normally I use 1 lb beef)
1 packet dry Ranch seasoning

Toss it all in a slow cooker and let simmer. I put it on low about 4 hours before we ate. Serve with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and sour cream.

As noted above I typically use ground beef but this is good with the ground pork or shredded chicken. I've been known to throw in other varieties of beans or black olives. Many recipes call for ranch seasoning and taco seasoning. I've found we like it better with just the ranch powder. The tomatoes and diced chiles give it some heat. You can also put it fresh raw or cooked onions, hot sauce, etc. Really make it your own!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!