And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Love Your Neighbor



In Matthew 22, Jesus tells us the second greatest commandment is to love our neighbor as ourself. Whoa. That one is a hard one for adults and even tougher for kids. It seems especially challenging for kids with siblings. I once heard it said that the people who live with us are our closest neighbors and therefore the ones we should love the most. So.....with the constant sibling rivalry/ arguments/ squabbles I am often repeating those special words Jesus gave us. I love when books, stories, and movies back up those ideals that I'm often trying to ingrain in my children. Sometimes my back up comes from a whimsical children's book about pirates and farmers.


As you can see from my picture above, my children have been enthralled with pirates for quite some time. Their fascination hasn't changed much over the years. So I figured Pirates on the Farm would be a big hit with Speedy and I was right! It's getting harder to select books for him now that he's reading. He's still a little intimidated by chapter books so I try to give him as many books like this as I can to build his confidence. This book by Denette Fretz has a cute story line and the illustrations by Gene Baretta are totally engaging.



What happens when a group of rowdy pirates moves in next door to a quiet farming family? Lots of antics and a little neighborly love. This is a great children's book for boys and girls and it quietly shares the message of loving our neighbors- even when they are very different from us. This is the first book in The Next Door Series. Look for the second book Conrad and the Cowgirl Next Door coming in September 2014. 

Our favorite parts of this book include the pirates escapades at church, the local store, and even when they invite their neighbors over for dinner. I love that the dad is consistently open to helping the new neighbors while the mom is busy hiding her money stash. In life sometimes we encounter situations like these and my Hubby is always the one open to all new people. I try to learn from his example. No worries, even though the mom is hesitant at first the pirates win her over by the end. So let your mateys learn a lesson about love while they learn some fun pirate terms and have some laughs.

I received a free copy of this book from Booksneeze for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!