And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Fighting the Storm




It seems like the past 5 years have been full of one storm right after another in our lives. From job changes to loss of loved ones to painful situations to illnesses, it just hasn't felt like as a family we've been able to catch our breath. I've been so blessed with lovely friends along the way to keep me encouraged but I'll be honest that in the past year or so I've withdrawn.

It's one of those things that just slowly happened. Excuses began to pile up to stay home- illness, to-do list, finances, busyness (now I do work part time so this isn't exactly an excuse). While it seems like a good idea at the time let me testify that isolating yourself gets lonely quick. First comes the loneliness and then comes the condemning voices in your head. Without all those encouraging, smiling, friendly faces around you start to believe those voices.

I've told you my word for 2014 is relax but as I read through The Storm Inside by Sheila Walsh I'm realizing that a big part of relaxing is going to be ridding myself of that negative, nagging voice. The one that tells me I'm not good enough, the one that makes me feel alone and ashamed, the one that speaks lies- it needs to go. In Chapter 4, Walsh addresses shame and she says,

"You are loved, you are beautiful, you are treasured, and you are a daughter
of the living God." (The Storm Inside, Sheila Walsh, page 79)

Oh how I need to repeat that to myself on those bad days. And oh how I need to surround myself with other loved, beautiful, treasured daughter's of the living God so we can remind one another of our worth.

I feel a little nervous as I'm filling up my calendar with "social" activities but I KNOW they are key. We aren't made to live life alone and as amazing as my hubby and kids are sometimes I need other moms, other women, my people. But don't worry, while I'm filling in some girls nights I'm also looking forward to some fun activities as a family, just with my daughter, and I will be searching for some special activities for Speedy and I.

If you are feeling the condemnation or loneliness I have been experiencing, I encourage you to check out The Storm Inside when it releases on February 11, 2014. You can pre-order at many retailers like CBD.com.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!