And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Saturday, January 18, 2014

Organizing to Relax

So while organizing itself is not necessarily relaxing, I find that the results provide me with a sense of peace and calm. When I worked full time nothing in my house was organized. It was all a big ol' mess. Then when I first began staying home with Apple she was an infant and slept most of the time so my house was so clean and organized. I had a place for everything and everything in its place. Fast forward over 8 years and my house is a big ol' mess again. Now I am a bit OCD as you probably noticed in my cleaning posts so I do try to keep the mess to a minimum but some areas just slip by and before I know it they are ridiculous.

Last night the kids were gone and I had great plans to tackle a big pile of ridiculousness but I got started late and couldn't muster up the energy to get started. Instead I sat down and did a little blog work (yes I have to do things other than write posts) and decided I would organize my computer files. I have tried to do this many times in the past and I usually work on it 30 mins or so and then get distracted by something off the computer or by social media (I'm sure none of y'all ever get distracted by Facebook or Twitter). Last night I put on a show I like on Amazon Prime (did y'all know there were 2 seasons of Restaurant Impossible on Prime?) and got started.

I lost track of time. I think I worked about 3 hours. I really only have 2 main sections I worked in: Downloads and Pictures. I still need to work on my documents at some point. However a majority of my saved files were in those 2 areas. Because I save so many things for this blog and for homeschool in those 2 folders I had loads to dig through. So I set up some new sub-folders and got to work. I'm so happy to say that everything looks neat and tidy now. You wouldn't believe all the stuff I found as I worked! I had about 6 books saved that I had completely forgotten about! Ridiculous. They were saved to my computer before I got a Kindle and I just never read them. I also had an embarrassing amount of really great homeschool resources. Most of them were freebies or items that I've won over time and I always just save them and think I will get to them later. Well later took me a really long time.

My new goal is to save items to the RIGHT folder as soon I get them so I will know where to look for them. Now when I need a resource for school I can check my homeschool folder first to see if I already have what I need. When I need a pic for the blog I can check my blog folder to see if I already have one. Now I just need to tackle my desktop........(on my computer and my actual desk).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!