And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Quilted Together


I am quickly deciding that novellas aren't my thing. They leave me longing for so much more of the story (when they are well written) and sometimes they just feel rushed. Mona Hodgson has such a lovely style with her writing. She has a wonderful way of opening up each character as the story moves along. In The Quilted Heart Omnibus, she has woven together 3 novellas of ladies that have come together in a quilting circle. 

The first novella, Dandelions on the Wind gives us the story of Maren. Maren is living on a farm with a widow and her granddaughter. She came to America to be a bride but her circumstances changed. Will she return to her country? Can she bear to leave little Gabi? 

The second novella is the story of Emilie in Bending Toward the Sun. Emilie has dedicated her life to caring for her PaPa. The pressure of caring for him, working in his store, and now attending school are starting to get to Emilie. How long can Emilie go without filling some of her own hopes and desires? Will she ever find love?

Lastly we have Ripples Along the Shore, the tale of Caroline a young war widow. Caroline is living with her sister and bitter brother in law. Can Caroline find a new path for her life? Will she ever feel happiness again? 

The characters (Gabi, Mrs. Bratenberg, Wooley, Garret, Oliver) that lace these books are unique and well presented. I must admit each little novella left me longing for me but I was somewhat appeased by the next novella as they each included the same characters. Now I can hardly wait for Prairie Song which will pick up where Ripples Along the Shore ended. To summarize, The Quilted Heart Omnibus combines three novellas that are well written, lightly romantic stories of three very different women living in St. Charles, Missouri following the Civil War. I think you will enjoy these short fictional reads as much as I did.

I received a free copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!