And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Normal Questions or Probing Inquiry

I want to give a big shout out and thanks to all my teacher friends (and there are many) who aren't intimidated by our choice to home school. Thanks to my friends who send their kids to public schools and don't feel like I deserve a scathing inquiry about our activities.

I'm trying to convince myself that maybe people are just curious but there's a proper way to ask questions when you are curious and then there is a rude, disrespectful way to interrogate someone when you disagree with their choices.

In my new neighborhood, I just met the daughter of a neighbor. His introduction of her included the fact that she was a teacher in a nearby large city. She told me they were on Spring Break this week and then she stared at my kids. Obviously it is not Spring Break in the district we now live in. I told her we home school and we are also on Spring Break. In fact we were out for a walk to enjoy the beautiful weather. Then came the rapid questions dripping with disdain:

Do you test here? No we do our own testing.

Well do you go to some kind of classes or get together with other homeschoolers? We have in the past but not currently.

{Receive look of pure shock, get a little incensed} However my child goes to choir at such and such university and our children play sports.

Oh...(looking less haughty) well do they play soccer or baseball? Kids pipe in with, "We play soccer and baseball/ softball."

Oh... (looking even less haughty) well it does sound like you stay busy.

Me (because I couldn't resist a final zinger) Oh yes ma'am we get all sorts of SOCIALIZATION.

Hmph. Walk home. :P

I know at this stage of the game I should just let all of this roll off my back but I just can't seem to let it go. I should have asked her how she felt about teaching to the test or if she was enjoying those new Common Core standards. I could have peppered her with questions about student to teacher ratio, lack of arts and physical education in schools, those awful school lunches, and more but I don't think that way. I'm not out to attack the school system. My choice to home school is just that- a choice. Everyone gets their own choice. And my choice doesn't change my respect for all those teacher friends one iota. Education is hard. Educating children is tough.

Shouldn't all of our (parent, teacher, homeschoolers) goals be educating our children to our best ability? Don't we all want this generation we're raising to be productive, intelligent adults? Couldn't we help each other instead of being suspicious and tearing one another down?

2 comments:

  1. I don't get it. Stay at home mom? Working mom (by choice)? Homeschool? Public school? Private school?
    It's called "we all want what's best for our kids and are praying about it and holding our breath and hoping we are doing this thing right!" Why can't we all get along?
    I know sometimes I can ask a lot of questions, not meaning to sound judge or nosey. I just ask a lot :). I hope after all these years you know I support you!
    Love your public school mom friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should add that I was a public, private and home schooled kid. Haha!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!