And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Trusting God

In the midst of life, trusting God can be hard. Whether you are waiting patiently (or impatiently like me) for the answer to a specific prayer or if God is guiding you to do something out of your comfort zone, it can just be so difficult to trust in Him.

When Apple was younger I was one of those mamas that was ready for her to go to school. Don't get me wrong I had loved my time with her as a stay at home mom but I felt like it was the natural progression for her to go to school. I was also telling myself more one on one time with Speedy was in order. I even sent her to school early for Pre-K. I never prayed about the situation much, I just thought it was what we were suppose to do. A few weeks in, I was heart sick and so was she. Things weren't going the way I thought they were suppose to go. We hung in a few more weeks before we waved our white flag and kept her home. I still was denying God's call to home school. He had slowly been whispering to me for a long time but I kept pushing the thought away. It didn't make any sense! Hubby & I went to public school and we both turned out okay. Sure God had surrounded us with homeschooling friends but that didn't mean anything, right? I wasn't a teacher and quite frankly Apple and I have been known to lock horns a few times (even at that age). I wasn't ready to trust God with all the plans I had made. I wasn't ready to give him all my dreams of how I thought our lives should look.



Eventually I did. I gave in to God. It was that reluctant. Then I had to convince my equally reluctant husband and explain to our dismayed parents. Now 5 years later I am so glad I listened to God. I'm so glad I decided His plans were better than ours. We have tough, horrible, awful days but we get the chance every day to try again. I couldn't possibly list all the times that home school has shown to be the best for us but some examples are: trips, Hubby's shift rotation, moving, family and friend emergencies. Time and again we are grateful for our flexible schedule and the time we get to spend together.



Now how do we help our children see how important it is to trust God? Well we talk with them about things like our decision to home school based on God's prompting and we share stories from the Bible with them about people who followed God's lead. One of the best stories of that is Noah. Boy I'm sure Noah got some HUGE awkward moments while he built that big boat in the desert. Max Lucado wants kids to get a funny picture of what it was like for Noah so he has a new Hermie DVD out called I Will Trust God! We <3 a="" hermie="">! 


Hermie is in a Noah-esque situation as he builds a boat in the garden in Hermie and the High Seas. Hermie is following God's instructions but his friends don't understand what he is doing! Hermie keeps telling them it is going to rain but they aren't listening. How will this situation turn out for our favorite bug?

The DVD includes a second story called Who Is In Charge Anyway? In this story Freddie the flea is feeling jealous of some of the others special talents in the garden. What kind of special talent does a flea have? This story reminded me quite a bit of the original Hermie story where he is trying to figure out how he is unique. It is another colorful reminder that God has a special plan for each of us and that he's given us some pretty unique talents too. Now that Apple & Speedy are 6 and 9 we are certainly starting to see their natural bends. God has made them each very unique and we love watching their talents develop. 

Apple sings like a bird and Speedy has natural athletic abilities that amaze me almost daily. They each have had moments where they lamented their inability to do something....I won't name names but one can't dance and the other isn't awesome in the arts and crafts area. We are quick to point out the wonderful things that they can do and do well. This Hermie video is just another reminder for them that God has a special plan.

Would you like to win a copy of this Hermie 2 story DVD? Enter via the Giveaway Tools widget below! One winner will be selected.

I received a free copy of this DVD from Tommy Mommy for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own.

Google

2 comments:

  1. My family love Hermie. Busby the misbehaving bee is our favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Mr. W would love this video! :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!