And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Zesty Chicken

Right before we moved I was offered a discount on this 2-in-1 Zester/ Grater from The Busy Hedonist. I've never owned a Zester but have always wanted one so I decided to give it a go. I got it quickly after ordering it and then we moved and it got pushed in a drawer.

Yesterday I decided to make orange chicken. It is one of Speedy's favorites and we usually have a bottle of sauce on hand but we were out. I decided to try my hand at making my own orange sauce and my Zester came in handy!

I popped the popcorn chicken (pre-breaded, frozen) in the oven and got to work on the sauce. I started with a base of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce (cause what isn't good with Sweet Baby Ray's in it?!?!) and then zested (I felt like a real chef) in some orange peel.



When I felt like I had enough orange peel in the sauce, I cut the orange and squeezed in all the juice. 


Then I added a small can of pineapple juice and a healthy squeeze of soy sauce. I stirred it all together and let it simmer on the stove until the chicken finished cooking. I also made a batch of white rice in my rice cooker. When it was all finished I tossed the hot chicken in my homemade sauce (I don't really know what to call it because it wasn't exactly orange sauce but it was GOOD!). We then served the saucy chicken on the rice. The only thing that would have made the meal better would have been some water chestnuts, carrots (but Speedy doesn't eat them), celery, or other crunchy veggie.

I had good intentions of showing you a picture of the finished meal but they ate it all too fast! It was gone! Which was bad for picture taking but made this mama's heart happy.

So if you are in the market for a Zester I would recommend this one. It is sturdy, the handle is comfortable, and the plastic shield keeps my fingers safe and the blades sharp. It will also grate cheese, chocolate, etc. A multipurpose kitchen tool for sure.

I received a discount on this product. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!