Contains affiliate links.
You can look at my curriculum tab at the top of the blog and see that over the last few years we've tried several different approaches to Grammer. It isn't the most exciting subject and so I have swapped things up for the kids a few different times trying to find a program that fits for us. A friend highly recommended Shurley English Homeschooling Curriculum to me last year. I decided to try it with Speedy and I went in a different direction with Apple.
Let me tell you the things I have LOVED about this resource:
1. Lessons are planned for you. No I don't just mean broken down. They. Are. Planned. with a script and everything! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this. It makes it SO easy.
2. It includes songs to help the kids remember. Now granted the songs are a little funny but kids really do learn through songs! We all know this, right?
3. The work for the kids is fairly short. Well at least it was in level 1 but I'm telling you the way this is broken down I don't forsee hours of work in any future lessons.
4. There is some review but I didn't feel like they were beating the kids over the head with the same info. Know what I'm talking about? I have one child that does not do well with being spoon fed the same lesson repeatedly. Shurley English doesn't do that!
5. It is broken down into chapters with 5 lessons each. Don't worry this will work for you if you do 4 days of seat work per week because it is a short number of chapters. In the first level there are only 28.
6. One thing I didn't like was that some of the extra activities were redundant or required extra work on my part but guess what? You DON'T have to do them!
I like this curriculum so much for Speedy that Apple will be doing it in the fall as well. She will jump in at level 5. I think she's going to do just fine with it. She enjoyed the other Grammer program we used this year but it was......a little....less than thrilling.
Now here's the exciting news for you- Educents is offering Shurley English at 20% off! Woohoo for savings!