And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Homeschool Science Possibilities

Science is one of the few subjects that I feel a freedom in for the kids and homeschool. I don't feel like I need a specific every other day curriculum for science. In part it is because my husband is a science buff and spends a ton of time talking with my kids about science and showing them off the cuff experiments. For real.

The other reason (hand in hand with the first reason) is that my kids really LOVE science. They get really into it. Because they can become so engrossed in certain science topics, I like to generally choose a topic or two and focus on it as we can throughout our school year. This past year was the solar system area. We've studied it on and off the last several years but this year we really dug in and discussed each planet, stars/ constellations, NASA, etc. The kids were able to ask as many questions as they wanted to and we used a collection of books, a lapbook, workbook, and some projects.

As I look ahead to the fall I've started pulling together resources for studying the human body (something they have been interested in lately) and I've toyed with the idea of exploring some Zoology. We did a Zoology unit with a science co-op a couple of years ago but I know the kids would love to re-visit the animal world and go further in depth with the topics. Lucky for me we already own several great resources on God's animal creation and we have a wonderful zoo less than 2 hours away (and an even better one about 4 hours away- hint hint Hubby!).



Now I can officially doubt no more, it is time to add Zoology to the planner for 2014-2015. I received (free from BookLook for the purpose of review) a copy of Made by God: Curious Creatures 4 Books in 1. This awesome hardback book includes 4 Level 2 I Can Read Books: Rain Forest Friends, Jungle Beasts, Polar Pals, & Curious Creatures Down Under. Speedy was so excited about this book he already took it and read through a good portion of it but studying it in conjunction with some other books will make for a wonderful semester of science.

My favorite features of Curious Creatures are:

*It explores the unique qualities God gave animals

*The pictures are vibrant and adorable

*There are so many facts included- over 200!

*It is easy to read

*It is organized in an easy to follow pattern

*It is inexpensive (a biggie for homeschool budgets) at just $9.99

This wonderful book of animals will be available on May 6, 2014.

I received a free copy of this book from BookLook for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!