And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

My Bible Challenge

My family is quite accustomed to all of the packages I receive filled with books and other products to review. The kids usually ask if there is anything for them and in general Hubby isn't interested. When I opened a box and pulled out a Bible (free from BookLook for the purpose of review), he gave me a bit of a surprised look and asked, "Do we really need another Bible?" I had to laugh. I know I've reviewed MANY Bibles in the past couple of years. Y'all know I love them! This Bible really is different than the others I reviewed!


A few years Hubby and I were going through a chronological study of the Bible but we changed churches and never got to finish it. I tried to do it on my own with little success (it was a LOT of page flipping). Since then I have pined for a chronological Bible. Surely I could walk through it alone without all the page turning. So when this Chronological Study Bible in NIV (my fave) became available for review, I jumped on it! And how timely that I receive it during Holy Week!

Lent is almost over and I have been wanting some way to challenge myself with Bible reading. It's hard for me to sit down and read the Bible without a plan. You may remember that I did several Bible challenges in years past and have always had success with them. So now I will do a personal challenge to begin reading through this Chronological Bible and go until I make it all the way through. I know it won't be easy but I'm up for the task!

I couldn't be happier with this particular chronological resource. It is hardback, includes some beautiful illustrations, is broken into 9 Epochs, and has maps and timelines. Almost every page includes some extra history or a map or timeline. This is truly a study Bible. I'm excited to have my own Bible class! I think I may try to get Hubby in on it too!

God provided us with His word to strengthen our relationship with Him. Satan wants nothing more than for us to be "too busy" to spend time soaking in the Bible. We must be intentional about our time and setting apart a piece of our day for God. For fun let's calculate what 10% of our day would be. We have 24 hours in day, if we assume we sleep 8 of those (ha yea right!) then that leaves us 16 hours. 16 hours X 60 minutes= 960 minutes/ day. One tenth would be 96 minutes. Are you giving God 96 minutes a day in prayer and Bible reading? I don't think I'm anywhere close! But lest you become discouraged, we have to remember that we should be using our days serving God all day and cooking, cleaning, raising children, homeschooling, working outside the home, encouraging a friend- all of those are to God's glory if you are doing it for Him! So my point was that we should give God an amount of time each day for reading His word and speaking with him. Don't look for 96 minutes. Look for 30, or 9, or 6 even! Just a portion of the day when you are all His!

Now keep me accountable as I read through this Chronological Study Bible NIV. Ask me how it is going! You can find out more information on this Bible here: http://www.thomasnelson.com/the-chronological-study-bible-niv-2.html.

I received a free copy of this Bible from BookLook bloggers for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own! It released on April 22, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!