And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Passion and Road Maps for the Young People

When I was in high school, I was a regular church member at a local church. I left my town to go back closer to my original home town and to a university that was associated with the church I was leaving. Even though the people who lived with me while I was in school were not regular church members, I had found a wonderful support system in my church. Starting all over in a different place, living with different family members, and not having that church support system sent me into a spiral. It wasn't enough to be at a Christian university. I took a waitress job at a very secular restaurant and though I had visited several local churches, I never found one that I felt comfortable enough in to return to it even a second time.

It's easy enough to look back now and see so many of my mistakes. I should have lived on campus, I should have found a different job, I should have.....However everything from my early twenties wasn't a total loss. I did meet Hubby and eventually we found our way back to a real relationship with God. By the time I was 25 we had settled down into passionate relationships with Him, church involvement, and welcoming our first beautiful child into the world.

I heard of the Passion conference several years ago and I see things on Facebook every now and again from a young friend attending. I've never been to a Passion event myself so when the book Passion became available for me to review (for free!) from BookLook I wanted to see what it was all about. I was immediately impressed with the names associated with the book: Louie Giglio, Frances Chan, Beth Moore, John Piper, Judah Smith, and Christine Caine. I'll bet you've heard of some of them before! This book is a compilation of some of the messages that these folks have given at Passion events over the years.



Let me tell you that no matter how old you are (because I'm certainly over the target age of 18-25), there is at least one little something in each chapter that will get you fired up! I now see why my young friends feel so energized after a Passion event. This is what we need y'all. Young leaders rising up from outstanding messages like these from the leaders that have been around awhile. We've seen that people just shuffling in and out of church on Sunday morning isn't spreading the gospel. A church building full of hypocrites (because we all are) isn't enough to bring people to God.

I am seeing more and more that we must let go of our passive natures. We must show the world our passionate relationships with Jesus and what He can do for us! Do you know a young person that needs a road map as they set off to college or to their first job? Do you know someone middle aged that has lost that passion or is just going through the Christian routine? Pick up a copy of Passion for them. Don't forget to get one for yourself!

I received a free copy of this book for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!