And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, April 7, 2014

The Legend of Three Trees and How to Help Kids Deal with Change



My latest Tommy Mommy selection is The Legend of Three Trees. I love getting these Tommy Nelson resources free to review for you each month! April is no exception. This delightful 40 minute cartoon features Hal Holbrook as the narrator. I saw him as a teen in a production of Death of a Salesman and I always enjoy his calm southern voice. 

The Legend of Three Trees retells the classic story of 3 trees with 3 different dreams. As often happens with our own dreams, their lives take twists and turns they don't expect and they don't see their dreams fulfilled. However God's plan was so much greater than their own and each tree holds a special place in the life of Jesus. 

What a great lesson for our kids! How easy it is for us to make dreams and goals without ever praying through them or leaving room for God's plans for us. Sometimes it can feel SO disappointing when things don't go our way but it is usually because God has something bigger and better for us.

My kids are so over changes right now. We've had change after change lately (that's life right?). When we found out our beloved preacher was heading to a different congregation soon, my sweet Apple was crushed. She asked,"Why do we have to have another change? Why can't things stay the same?" I talked with her about the importance of change and progress and God's plan. Even at 9 she still feels all torn up about change, hey even at 30- something I still get all torn up over change! When your kids are facing tough changes or they can't reach their plans or goals try-

*Praying with them and going over scripture. It's hard to ignore all the times that God changed the plans of folks in the Bible. Moses, Noah, Jonah- they were all headed in one direction when God turned their worlds upside down. Talking through those lessons and praying for God's peace and direction can make a huge difference in a tough time.

*Spend a little extra time cuddling and listening. Lots of times my kids just need an extra hug or snuggle for security during a change. Listening to their worries instead of talking or trying to fix it is also a big deal. (I struggle in this area! What mama doesn't want to jump in and help? However listening is usually the best help of all.)

*Enjoy some downtime. If you are moving or there is a job change in your house, regular activities can get your kids over the hump. Watch a family movie (like The Legend of the Three Trees!) or TV Show. Eat your favorite snack (we love popcorn with M&Ms mixed in) and just relax together. You could also play a game or read a book together. Anything to help them see the glue of your family is still intact.

*Answer their questions. My kids have an amazing ability to pepper me with 9 million questions about anything and everything. Most of the time I abruptly put a stop to it when it starts to put me over the edge or becomes out of control. When there is a big change coming though I give them more grace in this area. They are scared and it helps to answer those questions they have. And it is is perfectly okay for you answer to be "I don't know!"

Now whether you are going through a big change or not, you can enter to win a copy of The Legend of the Three Trees DVD. Use the easy Giveaway widget to enter today.


I received a free copy of this DVD for the purpose of review as a Tommy Nelson Mommy. All opinions are my own.

9 comments:

  1. I try to explain things to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give my little one a hug and try to talk about the situation with them! I also tell them it's going to be okay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We talk about it and try to be encouraging and we pray
    marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always reassure them that God is there for them, even when humans aren't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We try to make them understand that they are children on a Heavenly Father who has a plan for them
    hrddiana556@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. We talk things over and try to figure out ways to make it better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We talk about change and discuss ways to handle it.

    Nancy
    allibrary (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a young nephew that is going thru alot of changes right now including moving from the only home hes known. We talk to him about it and try to answer his questions. I told him that sometimes things change quickly and unexpectedly but that everything would be ok.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!