And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Get the Table Ready

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own. 


When a book is described as "A Novel of Family Secrets and Heirloom Recipes" well...I just can't resist it! Hillary Manton Lodge has written A Table by the Window and described it in just that way. It certainly caught my attention! Juliette D'Alisa is a food writer from a family of restauranteurs and foodies. While she has a simple, enjoyable life she is lonely as the single girl and baby in her family. She likes her desirable job as a food writer but needs some excitement in her life. Her Grand-mere has just passed away and the loss is leaving Juliette to reevaluate things. Her faith seems strong (although usually just mentioned in passing) and she fights for her own identity in a family of strong personalities.



When Juliette's brother Nico comes to her with a proposal to open a restaurant together, she is hesitant. They've attempted this before and it ended badly. Should she risk another business arrangement with Nico? What about her job with the paper? Can she do both? At the same time she finds a mysterious photo among her grandmother's items that sends her on the trail of a family secret. As if all that weren't enough to keep her busy she's met a man from Memphis online. Can a relationship work for a lady in Portland and a man in Memphis?

I loved the mix of cultures in this book and of course the recipes scattered throughout. While many of the recipes are dishes that are likely above my talents and include ingredients I wouldn't be able to find in my area, I still love them all. I also enjoyed the blossoming that occurred within Juliette. She went from someone running the rut everyday because she had a good enough life to someone pushing and striving for the things that really made her happy. I have to tell you though that the pace of this story is very unrushed. Imagine eating a meal with family or a good friend and lingering around the table a long time to catch up. That's the pace of this story. I normally wouldn't enjoy a story that didn't move along at a fast pace but I did enjoy this one. It was done well.


You can find Lodge on Pinterest and read more about her. Here is a sneak Peek of Chapter 1 just for my lovely readers!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Waterbrook Multnomah for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!